Has anyone put airbags on their W-body?

AWeb80

A good friend of mine was gonna help me put my coil-overs on when I get them, but he suggested to me that airbags are way better...in ride and such.

He is good at fabricating shit like this. He works in the machine shop w/ me so he is good with stuff like this.

He has a 93 GMC truck that is slammed to the ground and it has airbags on it, he is also putting airbags on his dads El Camino (for the ride, not lowering looks). He even built an ATV trailer with them on it, so it could be lowered, then drive the ATV on/off, then raised back up for over the road hauling.

He is gonna take a look at my GP this weekend and see if he thinks it is easily possible to fabricate the mounting hardware for the airbags.

I want my car to handle great, but ride nice.

He says he can do this with airbags.

What is everyones take on this?

I don't really care for airbags. The ride quality is dependent on air pressure, and air pressure also affects ride height. When you make the car sit low, it's going to ride soft, squishy, and floaty. To make it ride firm, you have to increase air pressure, and then it will also sit tall. Air in the rear is also quite difficult because there's not enough clearance for a double convoluted "bagover", and with bags, you must keep your struts.

I think hydraulics with accumulators is better. Straight hydraulics rides hard, like no suspension at all since liquid has no "give". This is how most lowriders are. However, throw in an accumulator and the hydraulic cylinder becomes like a spring. An accumulator is a globe of compressed nitrogen. The accumulator acts as an air spring for the hydraulic cylinder. When force is applied to the hydraulic cylinder, its fluid is pushed into the accumulator and the nitrogen gas is compressed. It can ride soft like bags, or more firm, depending on the air pressure in the accumulator. Your car rides exactly the same no matter what you set the ride height. You also don't needs struts. A restrictor on the hydraulic line makes the hydraulic cylinder act as a strut. This is how the Citroen hydropneumatic suspension works.

Either way, you won't get the handling of a static spring suspension. Citroens can out-corner and out-handle a C5 Corvette, but that's because their hydraulic system is computer-controlled. A sensor detects body roll and pumps fluid into the appropriate cylinders to level the car.

Air is cleaner (i.e. if it leaks, you only lose air), but hydraulics are better IMO. If you want great handling and road feel (without programming microprocessors to control the hydraulics), then a static suspension is best.

What about an adjustable air ride suspension like the ones available on the 80's G-Body's? I believe you could adjust the ride based on the amount of air you put in the shocks. Something like that would be pretty easy to adapt to the GP since the hardware is pretty conventional.

[Hydros ride like dick my womans bf's dad owns the biggest lowrider shop in MI and i have ridden in many hydro cars and l have getten my kidneys handed to me everytime.

There is one guy who did them on a lumi on cardomain and it sits wierd the front sits about a inch taller than the rear cuz of some essential front end part is in the way. The pic someone posted either here or on 60 is of a car (90gp) that one guy made into a old merc like 60's and put air ride on it. I have his name and have been trying to contact him since i saw the pics movie. He is a older guy in albany NY.

Air ride set up can be done but it'll be $$$$ i got a quote for fbss hydros for $2,200 but thats cuz it's me it would be $3,500 for most, (not braggin just letting ya know) if u plan on driving it everyday like i know u do then get hydros out of your vocab now. If u find out any info one air ride let me know Later jay

Hydros ride like dick my womans bf's dad owns the biggest lowrider shop in MI and i have ridden in many hydro cars and l have getten my kidneys handed to me everytime.

Did you not read anything I typed?

Key word: ACCUMULATORS

OF COURSE every hydro car coming out of a LOWRIDER SHOP is going to ride like dick. You don't run accumulators if you want it to hop, jump, 3-wheel, etc. Accumulators smooth out the ride and act as a spring, but reduces the ability to hop, jump, or perform any silly tricks.

If you want a floaty-ass ride when lowered, then get bags.

If you don't believe hydros can deliver comfort, then read up on

Citroen's Hydropneumatic suspension which is essentially hydros+accumulators.