Burning MAJOR amounts of oil

grandprix104

well after replacing the oil pump drive seal hoping that would stop my excessive oil usage I still am going through a quart and a half of oil per 3000 miles :( So I pulled the plugs on the front bank and two of them were encrusted with oil meaning that either the rings are worn or (as my new stepdad suggested) the valve guides/seals are worn and oil is being sucked through them into the engine. I was wondering if any of you had any other ideas as to where the oil is coming from besides the two i just stated. Im so pissed right now :evil: I was going to switch over to synthetic oil :(

My sister has owned 2 3100s now, and each one of them has burned around a quart+ every 3000. No idea why. Maybe its just one of those things. I mean, I wouldnt go tear apart the motor for stem seals

So, the oil is actually coming out the exhaust in the form of blue smoke? If so, then the possible causes you stated are the likely culprits. Another thing to look at "just in case" is your PCV valve, I've personally never seen a 3.1/3100 w/ excessive crankcase pressure due to one failing..but I guess it might be possible..if this happens, it will push oil through the pcv breather tube that routes the crankcase gases back into the intake to be burned. I had this problem on a turbocharged engine before and initially thought it was my valve guides/seals or piston rings that were bad. :oops:

well the pcv valve is fine - no oil in the tubing either. One quart probably isnt that bad but when you want to run synthetic that is WAY to much :evil:

Oh well i guess ill run the motor til it dies :( them its SC 3800 for me! :twisted:

my buddys 95,000 mile 3100 in his beretta doesnt use a drop of oil, running valvoline VR1 10w30 fully synthetic oil. Might wanna go try a bottle of CD2 stop burning shit, takes about 300 miles but ive had good luck in the past with it.

-Jeff