Dyno runs in the near future

god910

Well, I went to http://www.smokemup.com and used there dyno locator to see what it popped up. I found about 5 or so in Indiana (One being Lingenfelter performance, yeah, I'm sure they will invite me over, I'd be laughed off the dyno Perhaps by a TwinTurbo 427" Escalade. :twisted: )

So I got to calling around and only got ahold of 1 company. They are in Lafayette and so I called them. They do dyno testing along w/ on dyno tuning. The guy told me that his tuners were pretty backed up, but I told him I tune my own cars, he was happy. :wink: Anyhow, he said he could get me on the dyno in about 2 weeks from this weekend. (Could be sooner but I can't go but on the weekend.) Hell, the car isn't even running right now, so that is just about right. I think I am going to take the auto first. I'd rather take Sunshine, but I don't think I could have it ready to drive 2 hours one way for that. My luck I would break something on the dyno and have to tow it home. Anyhow, he said it was $100 for 2 baselines and 3 full pulls. 5 pulls in all, that's not bad but I wish I could do less. Hell depending on cool down time, my stock I/C will be worthless on the 3rd one anyhow. :lol: I'm thinking about having them setup the A/F monitors for $150 for the same amount of pulls. It still comes out to $30 per pull. We'll see just how close Jeff got those tables. 8) But if after I put the new injectors in there it's still not running as fast as I think, I'm not gonna waste the money. After driving my Sunshine and hearing all you guys talk about how fast the auto/chip/filter cars CAN be, it should be a TON faster than it is. (Was) Sunshine has a nasty tick (I think it's the cam) and so many miles of being beaten on by the P/O, it's still WAY faster than the pretty one is.

I'm dynoing my STE on the 3rd. Should be interesting. It is with the michigan grand prix club, it is one of their club events. There should be quite a few cars making a lot of power there. I am hoping that it'll be a lot of fun. The first two pulls are $35 for both (not $35 each pull) and then its $25 for two more pulls after that if there is time after everyone gets done.

Good luck with your dyno pulls.

Shawn

Dyno-mite :lol: . Some good info for you, also proven by a few in the past who have done dyno runs. They had better have a big ass fan running in front of your car, which any good shop will so that will help keep things cool and more representative to making a pull on the road/track, though an amount of sitting their idling is going to heat soak things so I would pop the hood soon as you get there, let some time pass then quickly get it into the bay and shut it down, pop the hood/leave it open and get things setup and strapped down, then know that the chip has some small amount of back down to keep you from hammering full power on an engine that just started/engine oil still cold/cool and engine parts not temp equalized!! Might need to just do a couple of throttle stabs (like cleaning off your tires at the track does) to get the good one ready for the recorders. An oil change prior will help, surprising but I can tell after I change oil there being more power! As for the wide-band, don’t get your hopes up for a absolute perfect reading now or after you start to be a chip tuner, too many variables such as age of fuel pump, sock filter, fuel filter and injector cleanliness (yea yea, I heard you got new injectors, the other stuff is key as well!), those alone will make things either rich or richer, then there are other variables you will find when you tune. I tested on TGPs with 30k miles up to some with 180k miles to try and get a chip for the masses (not something aftermarket chip tuners do much of), but tuning a chip based on fuel system age is nuts, no one does it, though with the 29 lb injector chip I have worked on, new fuel pump and filters are mandatory to extract all that these will support for engine and/or turbo upgrades. Not that you will do it, but after you get your good runs in, swap back to a stock chip and stock air filter, once again good to have hard data to prove your gains, and something to compare to when you get bigger turbos etc 8) .

Best of luck!!

Jeff M

Glad you mentioned it, I will take my adapter w/ me and download the AZRC set and put it on a 29. Then I won't really have to have 2 memcals, just one and the adapter. As of now, I have the air box/mile running to it, and then I just removed the top and hose to turbo, then put the open element in there. So it will be easy to swap back w/ the adapter and the existing parts still in there. I'll do it just for upgrade's sake, and so everyone can see what the difference is.

Glad you mentioned it, I will take my adapter w/ me and download the AZRC set and put it on a 29. Then I won't really have to have 2 memcals, just one and the adapter. As of now, I have the air box/mile running to it, and then I just removed the top and hose to turbo, then put the open element in there. So it will be easy to swap back w/ the adapter and the existing parts still in there. I'll do it just for upgrade's sake, and so everyone can see what the difference is.

Sounds good 8) , best of luck, adrenaline will be pumping the whole time, pure fun :D !! Little more info for you, back when things were taken to the dark side regarding chip tuning for the DIY’er, the time spent hacking my chip revealed (along with the GM chip part number written on the box it came in :roll: ) it shared some of the AZRC code set. But to help you, know the AZRC is not at all what others would have like to make of it :? ! First off this AZRC chip was done by GM to ONLY address cold start stall/stumble problems, nothing more, no more performance, no better tuning at cruise or at power, nothing but an excessive amount of table work that had me taking many of those tables down to fix the more new problems it caused! With just a stock AZRC chip, the engine will push too much, take forever to idle down, slip it into neutral and move just a little bit and the rpms shoot up to 2,000 and hang there forever (don’t want to put it into gear then :shock: ). Same if you are backing up, come to a stop and move towards slipping it into forward gear and find the engine rpms climbing fast and if you don’t shift fast enough into gear, will get a nice slam from the tranny. When AC is on the car will leap forward, and push you when coming to a stop, pull it out of gear and the rpms soar, taking forever to come down so trying to do parking maneuvers becomes a slam the tranny affair or a long waiting process till the rpms come back down. Let your foot off the gas on the road and cruise at 55 mph like the cruise control is on. Some TGPs with a stock AZRC had all these new chip problems in the extreme, others less extreme but still enough to be a pain and annoying to drive. All the work in this AZRC chip ended up being too much overkill for the one area it was trying to address, and that was an infrequent stall after cold start, but a more common stumble after shifting when cold, but after 2 miles was no longer a problem. My new 1990 TGP had this problem (back in 1990) and cold stall never happened, but stumble after shift did for a brief period during very cold temps. So, just to let you know the real story regarding this one updated chip from GM, more fun to look at the McLaren Pace Car chip, Pikes Peak Racer chip and the Export Version :twisted: .

Jeff M

Yeah, the only reason I was going w/ the AZRC was it's the superceded bcc. It will only be in use during dyno, so if it won't suit that lemme know. I don't plan on driving it like that, I know it is worse than your chip, I just want a GM dyno baseline. What BCC would you use to baseline a TGP against your chip?

Yeah, the only reason I was going w/ the AZRC was it's the superceded bcc. It will only be in use during dyno, so if it won't suit that lemme know. I don't plan on driving it like that, I know it is worse than your chip, I just want a GM dyno baseline. What BCC would you use to baseline a TGP against your chip?

The old AUAF was not bad, what also shows new other than the overkill AZRC is the AUFR :shock: , per my Snap-On book, and was run on the TSTE so that would be a 90 chip.

Jeff M

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I went to http://www.smokemup.com and used there dyno locator to see what it popped up. I found about 5 or so in Indiana (One being Lingenfelter performance, yeah, I'm sure they will invite me over, I'd be laughed off the dyno Perhaps by a TwinTurbo 427" Escalade. :twisted: )

You do know the New Escalades are dropping the V-8, and going with a V-12 Northstar. The EPA was complaining to much about the emissions and fuel milage of the escalade. And the V-12 does better on both accounts...