1995 - ODB-I questions

briandors

My 95 Cutlass Supreme 3.1 has a 12 pin, ODB-I style connector. But the connector only has three actual pins in it. I put a pic here:

http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~dors/95CutlassODB.jpg

Pic is a bit blurry, let me explain that there are only 3 pins in there. On the far right, both top and bottom have a pin. Then in the bottom row, 3rd from left has a pin.

This doesn't sound like the right set of contact pins for ODB-I. I did notice that some were pushed in a bit.

Did the previous owner do some damage here? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

I've read that before. What does that mean though?

Since it has an ODB-I connector, I would think there would be an A-ground and B-diagnostic terminal I could jumper and read the codes. There isn't, at least on my car.

And there's no ODB-II connector that I see either.

So how are codes pulled?

Brian

What kind of reader? Obviously can't be an ODB-II reader, because I have a 12 pin type connector, not a 16 pin. Look at the picture.

Are there ODB-I "real" readers that will work off just the 3 pins in there? I think the previous owner might have messed up my connector. Someone who knows this stuff inside-out, please look at my picture, and description in first post.

Thanks,

Brian

Dude... its the STANDARD OBD 1 connector. The pins in your OBD1.5 connector are where they should be. An OBD1 reader will pull the codes. The system is designed in such a way so that you cannot pull the codes by jumping A and B terminals.

Forgot to add.. the OBD 1 reader cannot be those cheesy 20 dollar readers that flash the code.. all its doing is jumping the terminals, obviously.

No the 2 connector has angled sides... not a complete square. I forgot what they call that other shape.. trapezoid?

Derr... good thing I paid attention in elementary school