The system i want....with your help

topless94style

Which company should I buy my front/rear components from?  

1. 1. Which company should I buy my front/rear components from?

This summer, after I finish modding my engine i want to get some premium sound running in the convert. Because with the top down, the freeway pretty much eliminates any music that can be heard. So, here is what I have picked out so far:

-Clarion ADB340MP MP3 Player - double din(I think this should fit)

-Infinity Kappa 50.5cs Component Speaker System 5.25" will these go in the front, or will i need 4" speakers?

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1d Subwoofer

I still need to decide on some rear speakers and two amps, one to run the speakers, and one to run the subs. I dont know much about car audio, so I want this system to sound awesome. I have had one other system, but that was just messing around with different companies to see what I liked. I usually listen to mostly rock/metal, but i also listen to rap.

If you choose other on the poll, tell me what you would prefer.

Also, I read alot about how we should run another battery because of our alts going bad on these cars. How would I do this? Or can i get Yellow Top battery and a better Alt and be fine

What amps do you reccomend? How do I know where to place the tweeters for optimum sound? Should I go to a car audio board to have these questions answered?

The stock dash opening in the convertible is 4", but with the help of a dremel, I was able to fit my 4x6's in there. But if your getting a component set, I'd put those in the doors, they'd sound much better down there. When I had my convertible, I put some nice 4:" components in the doors. The tweeters went there the window crank would go (you will see this when you remove your door panels) and the woofer went down in the lower left hand corner (where the 'premium audio' system speakers went). You may have to do some trimming of the steel in the door panels, but that's not a bad job if you have the right tools and the time.

A Double Din headunit WILL NOT fit in a cutlass.. Even the stock size (din and a half) has a hard time fitting. I can remember wrestling with my Pioneer in my old cutlass. There was NO space behind there for wires, and it was a very tight fit. Good luck with that, but I'd certaintly choose another cd player (either Din and a half or single Din)

I like your selection for a sub. I think you'll be very happy with it. In my Cutlass I had a US Acoustics USX-600D amp powering my 2 Infinity Kappa 100.3SE 10's. It was PLENTY loud for my tastes. I always recommend US Acoustics amps to people since they have done very well for me. I'm in search of a USX-4065 4 channel amp right now to complete my system in the TGP. Find yourself one of those amps, and you'll have plenty of power for your front components and rear speakers (I always had those off). Plus, my sub amp (USX-600D) is very efficient, never, in the time have I owned it, have I seen my volt meter (or lights) dim from listening at extremely high volumes, nor does it run very warm at all.

Good Luck!

I recommed this amp http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PHOT6004 as it is at a GREAT PRICE and will put put 15% more than it says. You would run your fronts off the front 2 channels giving them around 85 watts rms(which they want) and then the sub will see around 325. Now for the sub get the 12.1 not the 12.1D and this amp will work perfect for you. That's my suggestion. Buy it at sounddomain and it's authorized and you can't beat that price anywhere.

For your front speaks go with the 5.25, make them fit in! use MDF spacer in the doors and I'm sure they'll fit in there. If you use a set of 4 inch comp, i would not use this amp..too much power, however I'd still look at the Tantrum 300.2 for your sub amp.. http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PHOT3002

and maybe if your fronts took 50 watts look at the T200.2 http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PHOT2002

Incase you can't tell, I love these PG amps, and for the price you can't beat them.

For quality sound if you are running subs, i recomend pioneer hands down. If you arent running subs, boston acoustics. I have both, Bostons provide a nice low tone, without comprimising the quality in the highs much, if at all. The Pioneers are designed to be ran with subs, dont let anyone tell you diferently. yes they sound good without subs, but they have a much higher distortion level when running with bass. And I am not talking the cheap 45 buck Pioneers, Im talking the 4 way 6x9, or the 3 way 6x9.

I would think 5.25s woun't fit well..

I had 4 x 6 openings in my dash with an extra set of 5.25 components sitting around. So, i took off my dash pad and went to work at it. They sit in there nicely and sound better than any set of 4 x 6's ever would.

i choose infinite cause thats what i have and they rock. just run new wires for them that are sheilded. rather then using the stock wires from a new 200watt head unit. the stock one sucks.

yeah but the stock wire in mine are weird cause mine had the premium sound package so it would just be easier for me to run new wires rather then fuck with finding the thing causing the noise. the wire i use is sheilded wire too.

I went to Teckla car audio, a local audio competition store, they sell very high end car audio equip and do custom installs. I found an eclipse deck that I like for $200, and I may possibly buy their JL audio 0 12" sub for $220. Dual voice coil, he said that that sub will hit very hard, but the more popular JL being sold is the 6 or 7 model, but that one is waaay out of my price range. I also think I might go with a little higher end kappas components for the front, and just not get any rear speakers. He said i could go this route, since most of the sound comes from the front of the car, either that or get coaxls(sp?) for the rear. Going only front speakers though, I am affraid those who sit in the back wont hear anything but bass, with or without the top down.

By the way, I got to put the top down for the first time this year yesturday, hit 70* out, man i drove everywhere all day. Very nice weather.

hmmm

i know teckla

hit as many places as you can to hear things and get comparisons in price and product.

a single 12 should fill the sub duties just fine.

if you get an efficient single 4 ohm sub and a healthy 4 channel amp you can do it all on one amp. like 75or 100x4. this would send 150-200 to a sub and then plenty power to the fronts.

car audio boards are good for getting info on many brands, but you gotta be careful on the board and on the info.

much misinfo out there.

Monty