Follow-up: is there a target on my car?

IL_pilot

OK, so back on 2/18 I got nailed by some guy in a Blazer, and major-leagued lucked out, since all he damaged was my front fender.

I was getting nervous because the guy had a substandard insurence company, and was really dragging it's feet over the whole process.

They finally got back to me, and let's just say I'm surprised. I figured I would get $150-200 out of the whole deal, figured they'd lowball the parts and labor, and then apply comparative negligence, ect.

Well, got a check today for $700! Their estimate included things like replacing my whole front bumper, and a front-end alignment, in addition to a new fender, paint, ect.

And while they lowballed labor at $26/hr, and most of the parts are well below market resale, I'm STILL making out in this. I figure I can replace the fender myself, take it somewhere to get a good 4 wheel alignment, and still have cash left over to fix the bent trim on my front bumper (not from that accident) and have a body shop look at some of the rust on my right side quarterpanel.

Guess I really lucked out!

Mike,

If you can find all the parts you need from a You-Pull-It Junkyard, you should be able to save enough for the paint job and NOT lose any money outta your pocket

You should have at least 3 "written" estimates for the repair of your vehicle. I'd recommend one would be from a Top Rated repair shop.

Once the claims adjuster of the other guy's insurance company comes over and give a very low small amount of possible repair costs, show them the 3 "written estimates".

Go to http://www.kbb.com and find out the book value of your car.

We have similar situation happened to us. Our front bumper was cracked and the sides of the bumper was torn to pieces. We got 3 "written" estimates from a Top Rated repair company. The other driver's insurance claims adjuster came over and wanted to give us a very low estimate for the repair and we showed them the 3 "written" estimate. They decided to total the car and give us the book value of the car. We could have opted to let them deduct the salvage value of the car so we can have it back but we decided not to.

That's cheap for repair work. When I needed to replace my whoile front end, hood, bumper, paint, it ended up costing 2,700 dollars and that wasn't from the most expensive shop in the area. When my rear bumper had to be repainted it was something like 600 ( i think) to be repainted and the foam inside to be replaced and the bumper arms to be fixed.

Guest Anonymous

Rear bumper cover on the TGP to replace and repaint was $1650. The bumper cover alone was $752. The cop told us give me the highest estimate and I'll turn that one into the ins. That estimate came from a dealer.

Well, ordinarily I would have gotten a few other estimates, but, just look at it-

He missed my bumper, all that got dinged was the fender:

26200589.DSC00002.jpg

26200590.DSC00003.jpg

They want to pay me to fix an undamaged bumper, well, ok I guess...

so some jackass jumped on my hood and crushed the metal to unfxable scrap....... i went to the bodyshop that has the most reasonable prices and it was 1400$ for an aftermarket hood painted and the best shop wanted 1900 with a GM hood.....

not to mention i sideswiped a telephone pole last winter and the cheapest price i could find was... FIVE GRAND..........and that was just labor. no paint and i had to supply the parts.....i had an autobody instructor at the local tech school fix it for 650$ and i bought the parts.... and that was Painted