94 Cutlass Supreme car audio problem.

weisinator

I'm stumped.

94 Cutlass Supreme, lots of noise from an aftermarket head unit.

A known good head unit is installed and the same symptoms come up

The power antenna goes up and it starts making noise. When the antenna starts to drop, the noise goes away.

The noise is gone when the antenna is disconnected from the aftermarket head unit.

The noise is gone when the OEM head unit is installed with the antenna connected

Read the thread here

What could be causing the problem?

Do you have the premium audio package? If so you might have a problem with the powered rear speakers. There is a separate amp for the rear speakers and this has to be by-passed for the aftermarket deck to work. I had a similar problem but instead of static I got a wierd humming sound.

i did the simple solution instaled a manual antenna and left the power wire from the head unit disabled. i have sound problems because the speakers need to be remounted and they need better wires powering them :roll:

i think my speaker are vibratimg manly because the are top of the line full range infinite referance speakers the back ones and the passenger side one vibrates like hell and if i go the the troble of remounting them they are getting new wires run straight from the after market head unit :wink:

Do you have the premium audio package? If so you might have a problem with the powered rear speakers. There is a separate amp for the rear speakers and this has to be by-passed for the aftermarket deck to work. I had a similar problem but instead of static I got a wierd humming sound.

Believe it or not, I have the original sticker from the car! This is a 94 Supreme Special Edision and it states the following in regards to the sound system: "Radio-AM/FM stereo with cassetts and 6 speaker dimensional sound system, power antenna" I assume this is the premium audio package, but to be honest, I'm not sure. So, can you tell me if it is? And if so, where is this separate amp for the rear speakers? Funny you mention this as I only hear this humming from the back speakers. Thanks for any help you could give me.

I was under the impression that with the premium systems, there was an outboard amplifier running the door speakers. But from your posts, the noise is gone when you disconnect the rear speaker harness?

Try getting some speaker wire, and running new wire from the CD Player to the rear speakers. This way, if there is an amplifier that's causing the noise, it will be completely bypassed.

Sorry for taking so long with the reply! The only thing that I could think of to bypass the amp is to run new speaker wires from the deck to the back. That's what I did and it fixed the problem. Hope this helps.