Aftermarket Gauge Light Wiring???

dbtk2

I am going to install an aftermarket boost gauge in my TSTE. I was wondering where I need to tap into the wiring for the light. (so the light in the gauge will turn on and off with the dash lights/headlights)

Shawn

i went to the closest thing to the gauge.......... IE on a GP would be the headlight switch...... and i tapped into the back of the plug till i found the hot for the lights so the dimmer will work with the lighting on the gauge.

yeah headlight switch would be a good location depending on where the gauge will go. I think the brown wire is the park lights signal, I can double check. Or do you want it to dim along with the other lights?

yeah headlight switch would be a good location depending on where the gauge will go. I think the brown wire is the park lights signal, I can double check. Or do you want it to dim along with the other lights?

It would be nice if it would dim with everything else, but just lighting up when the lights are on would be like 1000 times better than nothing.

Shawn

the grey wire with a black stripe (if i remember correctly) is the dimmer signal, which should power up the light in the gauge, but im not sure if it is the same wire that will allow it to dim, i'll look in my nifty little wiring book when i get home

- Justin

the grey wire with a black stripe (if i remember correctly) is the dimmer signal, which should power up the light in the gauge, but im not sure if it is the same wire that will allow it to dim, i'll look in my nifty little wiring book when i get home

- Justin

If thats what it is that will really help. If you could look it up to make sure it'll dim that would be great.

Thanks,

Shawn

no problem, i will do that when iget home. I know that the grey wire sends a + voltage out when the lights are on that activate the gauge light circuit, but im not sure if that is one-in-the-same with the dimmer signal, but i will certainly check and try and find out for you.

Otherwise, you could tap into your gauges themselves. The buls are clip in bulbs and would be very easy to tap into. you would have to pull the cluster and remove the plastic housing on the back of that (7 or 8 Torx screws) and you will see the bulbs. Just dond use anything that is the warning lights (they are easy to find)

- Justin