Rear Buckets installed - Pictures

MommyTaz022200

These have been done since Nov. but my son tried to take pistures of the turtle with my digital camera (Underwater Close-ups!) and then with the holidays and school I have just been too busy. So today I went out to the garage with my dried out and halfworking camera and took these 2 pictures:

434980_23_full.jpg

434980_24_full.jpg

I used trunk carpet out of my ex’s Dodge Shadow to put behind the upper part of the seats. Then it didn’t match the much faded rear deck material well, so I got more matching carpet and replaced the faded material. The seats were originally light gray, which didn’t match the front so I dyed the front and back seats with black material dye. (I couldn't find Charcole or

dark gray dye so I had to use black and I wanted them to match so I had to do them all). The headrests in the pictures isn't the ones that came with the buckets but the materail covering the headrests was real brittle from the weather and ripped several times when I had them in my washer so I used the ones from my ex's Shadow until it's warm and dry enough to go to the bone yard and get some seat material I can use on the original ones. Then I will use the right ones.

Did you paint the console? If so how did you paint it?(spray paint?)

I bought some black vinyl material and glued it to the console. On top of me liking the way rear buckets/console looks I decided I wanted to get them because I have a 4 year old son and he likes drinks and toys to play with (hotwheel cars) when we are in the car. So I wanted him to have a storage place for his "car toys" so he can put them away instead of having cars all over my car, and a cup holder so he wouldn't spill drinks. With it being used for that I was afraid if I painted it the paint would chip off or wear off really fast. That's why I just covered it with vinyl.

Also I haven't really looked but is it easy to remove the rear headrests?

front seats = pull really hard and as your pulling don't put your face inline with your pull (causes bloody lips and noses- trust me)

Rear buckets = you got to take the upper half of the seat off. The headrest is bolted to the seat with either 1, 2, or 3 screws (I can't remember exactally how many)

How did you dye those seats? Just rub the dye straight on? Dilute it? spray it on? Or like throw the seat fabric in a big tub of dye? Just curious cause I never see dye truly stay onto car seats without it rubbing on clothing.

How did you dye those seats? Just rub the dye straight on? Dilute it? spray it on? Or like throw the seat fabric in a big tub of dye? Just curious cause I never see dye truly stay onto car seats without it rubbing on clothing.

I did none of the above. I removed the fabric from the foam, threw the fabric in my clothes washer and washed them first with some laundry soap, then refilled the washer with hot water (as hot as I could turn my water heater up to, cause the ideal temp is boiling), and dumped 6 bottles of clothing dye in. I let the it soak for 1 hour, stirring it with a stick every 10 minutes so the dye wouldn't be uneven. Then I ran them through a full cycle with cold water (cold removes stains, so it works better to set the dye and remove any extra). I hung them in my basement and let them dry. When they were dry I washed them again with laundry soap and cold water. Hung them to dry again. Then put them back on the foam using zip ties instead of the pain in the a$$ metal rings, in case they ever fade and I want to redye them again.

The dye don't seem to rub off on my clothes and I have worn white pants in the car since then.

They sell the dye at Walmart too though for like $2.99 a bottle. So all together it cost about $20 plus the $10 I paid for the seats at the junkyard.

hey digitaloutsider, this looks like your next project eh?...definitely a super nice looking job!...love to see you guys sporting up these sedans...whatever happened to the fella here on the board that was gonna install the B4U bodykit on his sedan?...any update on him?

whatever happened to the fella here on the board that was gonna install the B4U bodykit on his sedan?...any update on him?

I asked about getting the B4U on my sedan. I still plan to, but just got to patient to get the money and find one that's not smashed. Right now I got to get the engine running better and figure out how to take the broken transverse spring out and put the new one in.

Kind of off topic but with my spring being cracked, what will happen if it cracks all the way thru?

Where did you get the rear bukets? are they factory?

cracked spring eeh. well if it breaks in half i dont think it would be good. might do a number on your strut

Where did you get the rear bukets? are they factory?

I guess they are kind of factory. They came from an 89 or 90 Prix SE in the junkyard. I had to clean them up a bit but they had no rips or burn holes in them, just dirt and a musty smell, which my washer and Tide with bleach took care of. I say kind of factory because I'm not sure if rear buckets were ever even an option in a 4 door.I think someone even told me they wouldn't fit in the 4 door, but at times I have a problem listening to someone if they tell me I can't do something (it makes me more determinded to do it). They do add leg room for rear passengers (or floor space to get busy :wink: :lol: )

If the spring breaking will kill my strut I guess I should keep my car in the garage and get it changed. My struts are shot as well. I have new ones waiting to be installed though. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to change the spring?

hey digitaloutsider, this looks like your next project eh?...definitely a super nice looking job!...love to see you guys sporting up these sedans...whatever happened to the fella here on the board that was gonna install the B4U bodykit on his sedan?...any update on him?

The B4U sedan idea would have been 92TurboLE's

I can't really say his status since he's in a good bit of legal trouble now :?