A/C NOT WORKING

90KUTTY

Today it was 85 degrees outside so I turned on the a/c and nothing but hot air. So my question is could my cruise control not working cause the a/c not to work? by the way I just had it fixed last year so it should be working. thanx

No, the cruise and AC are completely two seperate systems.

When you turn the HVAC controls to the AC position, do you hear the AC compressor kick on?

If not, you could be just low on refridgerent; a local certified SAE service mechanic can do a recharge on the system.

If after recharge is still doesn't work, could be a dead compressor; those are expensive.

- Erik

Ok I think I know whats happening, both the AC and the cruise operate on vacum. If you don't have vacum you can't use and you can't switch the mode for ur HVAC so your AC won't turn on. Check your vacum lines for leaks, fix that. If the AC still doesn't work you'll need to recharge, there are conversion kits available at walmart and they are garanteed not to form sludge.

If your cruise control is not working, look under your brake pedal, there should be a small switch connected to a vacuum hose.

Sometimes that switch gets pushed out of its groove when the brake pedal is at rest because the thread is made up of plastic.

why was it refilled last year.. just low or was there a leak that wasn't fixed........ try going to walmart and getting the R134A in a can ... if your car has been converted and put it in ther eit has stopleak in it hopefully 1 or 2 cans shoudl fix it.. the comressor won't go on if it is low bc it has a low refrigerant safety switch that doesn't allow the comressor to turn on.

i got it refilled because it was low i think 1 1/2 gallons. they used that dye to check for leaks but there was none and it has not been converted but how would i go about doing the conversion.

now about that switch, how far up is it?

ya I know the AC compressor won't engage, but hes got gas still in there,its just the fact that he can't switch it to AC because he got no vacum.

For the vacum leak try listening for hissing, and look on the top of the throttle body thats where the vacum lines start, there are 3 of them.

does your cruise work?

when you turn the defrost on where does the air blow from?

in my cutlass as well as a friends cutlass we had vacuum hoses come disconnected under hood to cause no cruise and only blowing from the vents. (or was it only from the defrost i forget)

the vacuum lines run on the drivers side under or near the cruise, brake fluid container and across the back of the engine.

my friends was loose under the washer fluid tank. mine was on the back top of the engine

Monty

Well, shit, nobody has stated the obvious!!!!

:guns: :lol:

KISS MY ASS, 85*, YOU SHOULD BE SO LUCKY, SHUT THE HELL UP, ROLL DOWN YOUR AIR CONDITIONERS, AND DRIVE!!!!!! :flip: :gone2far: :think:

there should be no need to recharge a system unless like previously stated there is a leak in the system. the stop leak refrigerant seems to work well but GM condensors are usually the problem. mine is bad and I retrofitted the system and recharge it and it works great (speaking of which spring is coming time to recharge it) Oh! if they put dye in the system did they find the leak? They may of fixed one leak which brought out other leaks, the cars are atleast 10 years old (Lumina). If it is retrofitted throw a can in here and there, it not hard. get that vacuum leak fixed and then get back to use.

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thread.... This winter my cruise would kick in sometimes, and sometimes not. Today I find that my a/c is blowing hot air and the condenser is not kicking in.

Intertest that these two are possibly conected... My fans I don't think have ever kicked in either which the engine tends to heat up quick and generally not go above 210 on a hot day. I wonder if the fans are conected to the low refrigerant? Prob not...

for the AC I'd check the fuses and relays under the hood on the passanger side of the car, I think* autozone can test the relays, but at the worst, call 'round and see if anyone can test 'em for ya. just because the HVAC Vacuum Acuated doors aren't functioning doesn't mean the AC won't work, as the switch for the AC itself is in the switch pannel, not in the directional box, I know this because my vent doors don't move, and I set it up like that so I could have my cruise control (untill I get off my ass and get a 3-way splitter so I can run both the cruise and the hvac doors)

as for the fan's not comming on, that too can be related to the relay/fuse box under the hood.

--Dave.

Fuses all look fine so I did the easiest task first last night which was the A/C coolant. It turns out the coolant level (psi) is indirectly related to the cruise control, thermostat fluxuation which led it to running hot most of the time, and the fans not kicking in. Unreal!

Now i just have to switch out the water pump tonight and all is good im my world!

Thanks