big brake upgrade

dohc v6

11.25" front brakes needs a front knuckle replacement.

Rear brake upgrade is documented on many sites including this one.

Many people have made the park brake work by stretching and bending the existing cables. The pics I've seen, it doesn't look like it'll last long before snapping, but it CAN work. I never bothered on mine.

the front all you need is the new caliper,rotor,pads. do i have to switch out the hub or the knuckle.

11.25" front brakes needs a front knuckle replacement.

Guest TurboSedan
the front all you need is the new caliper,rotor,pads. do i have to switch out the hub or the knuckle.

you can re-use your old calipers, but you'll need the new (bigger) rotors. i think the pads are the same but you should probably just replace them.

joshua

so for the front ifmyou get bigger rotors then if you dont have bigger pads it wont work probably that well. also will the bigger pads fit on the old calipers.

does the back brakes have the same mounting as the front. because then you can just use the front calipers and rotors on the back if not has anybody tried to use the front rotors in the back

Guest TurboSedan
for the rear all i need is new rotors calipers and pads. why would i have to replace the knuckle for the front or back

you need '95+ strut/knuckle assemblies for the front brake upgrade because the caliper is mounted farther out to accomodate the bigger rotor. as far as i know, the calipers and pads are the same. i have not done the front brake upgrade yet; i have '96 Cutlass front strut/knuckles but i still need everything else.

for the rears you need the new calipers, pads, new (bigger) rotors, caliper mounting brackets, and the matching (shorter) caliper mounting bracket bolts. the rear knuckles do not need to be changed. the big '94+ rear rotors are 11", there are no 11 & 1/4" or 11 & 15/64" rotors available.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
does the back brakes have the same mounting as the front. because then you can just use the front calipers and rotors on the back if not has anybody tried to use the front rotors in the back

i haven't tried it, but i really doubt it would work. even if they did mount the same, the front rotor is vented and WAY thicker than the solid rear rotors.

the '94+ rear brakes are probably more than sufficient. bigger rear rotors and/or vented rear rotors would probably just be overkill. upgrading the front brakes is probably alot more important than the rear since the front brakes do like 80% of the braking. the main reason to upgrade the rear brakes to the '94+ style is because the '88-'93 rear brakes suck ass - the calipers are notorious for seizing up, which makes the front brakes work much harder and will warp the front rotors. i didn't notice any braking improvement with the rear brake upgrade; they are simply more dependable and the pads are much much easier to change now.

joshua

It's NEVER, EVER a good idea to put front brakes in the rear.

You will throw off braking balance badly.

I once knew of some genius that tried this. I'm not sure how he did it, but he figured out some 80's GM car front brakes could be made to fit the rear. The car braked terrible, it was almost impossible for him not to lock up the rear. He tried an aftermarket brake proportioning valve, but it didn't help much. He ended up having to buy new rear knuckles (he hacked up the old ones) and converting back to stock rear brakes. I wouldn't waste time on that idea.