Sway bar question

tyroelite

Will the thick sway bar from a 96 Lumina fit on a TGP? From what i've read so far, it seems like there are two seperate bars for the two cars which leads me to believe it may be different. Length? Bends? something else?

Are you talking about front or rear? The front is a direct replacement. I put a big one in the front of my 89.

The rear in a Monte has very different bends. I don't remember why, but I never tried it. I bought the Addco instead. It's a bit too stiff and oversteers easily. It may be a little on the dangerous side as well, I don't think FWD's were meant to oversteer.

i meant for the back. The front already has FE3 so it should already be the biggest GM available. I thought since there were idfferent addco bars they must be differently shaped somehow. Anyone know exactly what the difference is between the two?

Actually, the TGP only has the 30mm front bar (I just went out to measure with my digital caliper to verify).

Also, I'm not aware of 2 different Addco bars. What 2 different bars do you speak of?

i was referring to the two listed on the w-body.com upgrades section, one for "All first-gen W-body (except 95-99 Monte Carlo and Lumina) Part # 474 from Addco versus the "1995-99 Monte Carlo and Lumina Addco Part # 639".

I just checked my pictures that I took underneath my friend's Monte before he got rid of it. The sway bar in those is definitely shaped differently. It might still fit, but on his Monte, the sway bar is curved to allow the exhaust pipes to go underneath it. On my 89 Cutlass, the sway bar doesn't have any curves for the exhaust because the exhaust goes above it. I think the Monte sway bar would have hit my exhaust pipe.

you wouldn't by any chance have any digital copies of those pictures would you?? on the TGP the exhaust goes right under where the leaf spring bushing used to be and splits off the Y right behind the rear control arm... if it isn't too much money and not too hard I may pull it just to see what happens... :)

OK, my friend and I tried to put in the sway bar this weekend. It fit in around the exhaust and all without any problems but the bar is wider than the stock, so it hits the bottom of the struts. Perhaps if someone had a pipe bender, it could be bent slightly in the center and it would fit again but the way it is, it didn't fit on my car. So we put the regular one back on. Oh well... maybe i'll have to find something else... would have been nice tho.