Got bored today, so I made a STB.

99RegalGS

Since I wasn't putting on my fender today because of the damn junkyard I got realy bored. So I took a piece of pipe laying aroung the house and made a STB. :) When I put my car back together tomorrow I'll see if it makes a difference.

Here are some pics.

STB1.jpg

STB2.jpg

STB3.jpg

That's exactly what I did (even though I don't have it on the car anymore).

I read a good thread on clubgp about how STBs function, and reading that made me realize that you don't need a huge, gaudy bar. There will never be enough force between the 2 towers to crush or stretch a small, aluminum bar at all.

Solid bars are the way to go. Those cheap flimsy hinged bars seen a lot on imports are the worse. They can bend in the hinge while under hard cornering, which pretty much defeats the purpose of a strut bar. I have a beefy single peice solid bar with no hinge ends that bolts directly to the strut bolts.

I read a good thread on clubgp about how STBs function, and reading that made me realize that you don't need a huge, gaudy bar. There will never be enough force between the 2 towers to crush or stretch a small, aluminum bar at all.

He's exactly right, there isn't that much force at all on the strut towers. If there was the engineers would have made one for the car. I fucking laugh my ass off everytime I hear of or see someone putting those strut bars on that they paid out the ass for. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll admit they do look better than the homemade ones, but they don't serve their purpose any better.

the pipe I used is galvined steel. But after you guys mentioned it, it does look alot like aluminum in those pictures.

That's exactly what I did (even though I don't have it on the car anymore).

Cool. Why don't you still have it on the car? Did it not make a difference?

Looks good, Sean. Now all you need are the strut-to-cowl braces and you'll be all set.

Thanks, Tim. I might see if I can get some of those tommorrow while I'm at the J/Y again.

I got lots of steel pipe lying around (for natural gas piping)

That's some thick pipe. :shock:

Man that's going to be hard to flatten.

Solid bars are the way to go

Actually I've read that hollow tubes are more stable under compression than solid bars.

Why don't I have it on the car? It got in the way once while I was working on something, and I just never put it back on.

I can't really tell if it made a difference or not. I never drive like enough of a psycho to notice if it helps out.

after driving it around today I did feel a difference. but the STB rubs against the P/S pump under acceleration. going to try to fix that in the next few days. I'm also getting those other braces in the engine bay on thurs or fri. for $10 from the j/y. :)

So... after stealing the idea I went and made one just like the one mentioned in the post and felt a difference (It was pretty easy to make) cost me like 4.00 and I still have enough for the rear and then some

Glad to hear that Maybe2fast. I can't wait to make a rear STB for my car. :)

I think it looks ghetto...

I don't think it looks bad but I need to paint it.

Hmmm.. when the race is over, we have a lot of crap in the garage... And I have nothing but time... I think I'll make one.. How does it feel sean? Did the handling improve?

well I can't speak for Sean but I felt a difference in the front! and a difference in the rear, I'm still deciding if I like the feel of the car with the rear bar

Yes, I did feel a difference after I put the bar on. My car doesn't "plow" throught corners as much. It feels much more stable also.

Maybe2Fast, what does your car feel like with the rear bar? Oversteer, understeer?

ahhh yeah the dancing girl is very distracting and I don't know it is hard to explain make one and see what you think! Oh hammer the ends down alot to clear the trunk hinge atleast on the Lumina!

FYI the bolts in the trunk will need nuts for the bar, I went to the hardware store and picked up 2 big ass wing nuts for 1.10 apiece they are 10mm, just thought this would speed up the rear STB process.

Don

FYI the bolts in the trunk will need nuts for the bar, I went to the hardware store and picked up 2 big ass wing nuts for 1.10 apiece they are 10mm, just thought this would speed up the rear STB process.

Don

YOU! do you have pics of this installed in the rear? I may want one there, too.

Me! I need to get ahold of a digital camera, the rear was easy straight across but watch the trunk hinge flatten the ends of the bar enough to clear the hinges.

Don