Cheap car Alarm systems ?

THe_DeTAiL3R

Well I got a bit of car audio invested in my GP now, so I'm thinking of getting an alarm system.

At Walmart :oops: they have Bully Dog Alarm system, which just beeps 127db when the car is tampered with. Goes for $50 which I think is cheap and maybe worth it.

Anyways wondering if you guys thing these are effective, or are theaves already equipped with an extra remote to turn it off?

I would look for a "GM Accessory" alarm from Ebay. One of those ones with GM lookalike key FOBs.

They are made by DEI, the company that makes Sidewinder, Python, and Viper.

Well I got a bit of car audio invested in my GP now, so I'm thinking of getting an alarm system.

At Walmart :oops: they have Bully Dog Alarm system, which just beeps 127db when the car is tampered with. Goes for $50 which I think is cheap and maybe worth it.

Anyways wondering if you guys thing these are effective, or are theaves already equipped with an extra remote to turn it off?

worthless. get a real alarm and nobody will mess with ya. its worth the extra 50 bux!

alarms and other "security" devices are really just a false sense of security. If someone wants something bad enough, they'll find a way to get it, regardless of what security you use, sure it may deter kids from breaking your window and ripping your stereo out, but someone who knows what they are doing will find a way.

Case in point, a friend of mine had a 2002 Mustang SVT Cobra, and he put in every type of security device imaginable. When the crooks came to take it, they hoisted it up on a flatbed in the middle of the night and were off, where they could worry about the alarms and stuff later on when they got it wherever they were taking it.

Sure, it's highly unlikely that someone would do that to a mid 90's W body, but just trying to tell you not to think that the alarm will be the definite security measure that everyone thinks they are.

get a real alarm system. I have a $350 Clifford alarm system...yes like the big red dog. I go to school in a somewhat ghetto urban area, and people have tried to steal my car numerous times. No one has yet to break into my car. I have even beat down someone who tried to break into my car after jumping out my g/f's 1st floor apt window at 3am. Yes, if someone does want your car that bad there are ways to get it as were already said. I know my car has a battery back up just for the alarm if they cut the line. That way the starter kill still can't be bypassed. I was told they were better than Viper when I bought it, and it's just gone to prove it.

I used to have a Clifford alarm, AvantGuard III or something like that. I didn't care for it much though, I ended up getting DEI and IMO, it's the best. Doesn't much matter though, DEI bought Clifford many years ago.

One huge reason I prefer DEI: separate button for lock (arm) and unlock (disarm). I hate the 1 button toggle!

Yeah don't waste your money on those Bulldog systems. If I'm thinking of the same one, all it does is go off based on vibrations or electricity flow. I found it to be quite annoying that even a wind gust would set the thing off. You can adjust the sensitivity.. but its still pretty much annoying. Another thing it runs off of is current flow.. whenever I'd hit the keyless entry button, the alarm would go off. Almost anything drawing a significant amount of current will set it off.

The one thing I did find it useful for though was chucking it out of the window as I flew down the interstate.

*Legal Disclaimer, this is NOT and I repeat NOT legal*

My GPSE has a nice little Jenson head unit, in order 2 try 2 steal it, people have to reach around, I have several needles/razors around the area to help ummm, deter people from taking it.

-Jeff

I've got a GM VSC 3100 Vehicle Security system including Keyless entry, and siren, etc.

http://www.aatechnologies.com/gmalarms/vsc3100.asp

That's basically what it is, if you're interested, or if anyone else is, for that matter, make an offer. It's all brand new, save for one of the transmitters is obviously used, the other is shiny new. Someone must have needed a brand new transmitter and just bought the kit for it.

PM or post offers if you're interested :)

My GPSE has a nice little Jenson head unit, in order 2 try 2 steal it, people have to reach around, I have several needles/razors around the area to help ummm, deter people from taking it.

In many states, booby traps are illegal and the criminal can sue you for damages!!!

It's stupid, but true.

This is just something to think about when it comes to alarms...

How many times are you at a store or something and you hear a car alarm going off, but just kind of ignore it/ don't go searching to see if anyone is breaking into the car? Most people don't bother to even look if the alarm is set off, so an alarm is pointless if your in a building where you can't hear yours go off.

Unless....

You spend the money to invest in a decent one. As others have said DEI is a very reliable unit. They sell the Clifford, Hornet, Viper, as well as others I can't think of. I have a Hornet I got on eBay for $179.99. Mine has remote start, auto lock, auto paging up to 1/4 of a mile away (I'm in Collage), shock sensor, and engine bay monitoring as well, so it was more expensive. The difference between the names they sell is kind of like the difference between GM cars, a Caddy is still a GM car, it's just more fancy. You could get a base alarm with autopage (the remote will beep when the alarm is set off) made by DEI and then later on if you decide you want to be able to roll your windows up and lock your car from your remote you can by DEI add on parts. Most of the DEI base alarms have the outputs to add options onto them if you decide to.

I guess really it comes down to how much you want to spend to protect the money you spent on the stereo and your car. It's not easy to break a window, you got to hit it pretty hard. With a shock sensor your alarm will go off on the first hit, even if the window don't break, and who's going to hit a window again after the alarm is beeping? If they are dumb enough to try with auto paging you will know and can be on your way to the car to catch them in the act. Also if the alarm monitors the lights (mine does), and your car is like mine, when you try the doorhandle even if it's locked my interrior lights go on. I would think a car theif would check the doors to see if they are unlocked before they break a window, so if they do my alarm will be paging me before the thief even tries to damage my car. I spent the money because my old car was broken in to and my 1000 watt Boss amp was stolen. I had a Bull dog alarm I got at Fleet Farm installed at the time of the break in. My passenger side window was hit with a baseball bat ( I had tint on the window so there was just a long narrow hole above the lock). The Bull Dog was suppose to go off when my dome light went on, but the alarm didn't go off so I think the thief turned the dome light off before he opened the door (on my old car there was a switch to set it to on, off or on with the doors), or the alarm just didn't go off. After that I tested the alarm and 6 out of 10 times I opened the door with the dome light set at door the alarm went off, with the light switched to off the alarm wouldn't go off. And with the hole the way it was in the window I could reach the light switch, and I'm only 5 ft. 4 in. so most people are taller then me with longer arms.

In the long run most likely you will get your money back for any alarm you buy, thru discounts on car insurace.