rusty coolant lines....

SmoothSteve3

hey everyone-

So I'm in the middle of porting and polishing the upper end of a 3.1 that i bought for like 20 bucks on e-bay. Well, it was a great deal. But now that I'm getting into the nitty-gritty parts of porting/polishing, i beginning to see that many of the metal coolant lines (and even some of the coolant channels in the intakes) are badly rusted out. Two questions: Is this as bad as i think it is? and is there anything in the world i can do to get rid of this rust (outside from buying all new lines and intakes)?

I'll get some of my pics to you guys asap...i've almost got all of the "before" pics done.....

SmoothSteve

Hey man I am close to Overland park (sorry has nothin to do with thread). I live in DeSoto, do you know where that is. I live like 15 mins from the Oak Park Mall. Yeah i know this is kinda random :D

well last summer i helpd out some guys from new york who were driveing a white firstgen 3.1 lumina that had one of the metal heater lines rust out and dump atifreeze all over the highway, long story short, made engine over heat, and blew the water pump. was able to get it all fixed easy enough but took alomst all day to get them back on the road again. so i say if you can change them now do it.

So you live in Desoto eh? Thats awesome! For the past year or so, I've been looking for someone remotely close to OP that was a w-body member/owner. Theres a lot of w-body's in our area.....but no one has a clue that they are driving such a special type of vehicle :wink:

Nice ride too! I'd die to have a z34, but I got stuck with a 1st gen 3.1 Lumina (base model). Oh well, gotta use what we're given.

I'm currently a senior at Shawnee Mission South.....we need to organize a Metro Area W-body meet sometime.....

SmoothSteve

It must be common on these, I just had to replace the one on my 93 gp se, it had rust holes and it was a hassle because of the way it runs all the way around the engine bay.

RW