cutlass owners: help compressinr rear aux. spring

GTPrix

I have the bolt that " i thought" would compress the aux. spring by putting through the top of the aux. spring. Apparently not, since there are no threads in the hole. Im lost.....there is also supposed to be a tool to compress the spring, Murrays / Autozone doesn't carry this however. Please help....GnatGoSplat maybe ???

- Drew

Hey Shawn, I was there when we tried to do it and the KYB's don't come with that bolt, so we went and bought a Gabriels :lol:, just to get the bolt, and it was to small so what should we do try to get a bigger one or does the dealer stock them.

Hey Shawn, I was there when we tried to do it and the KYB's don't come with that bolt, so we went and bought a Gabriels :lol:, just to get the bolt, and it was to small so what should we do try to get a bigger one or does the dealer stock them.

It's a specific size bolt. I got mine at a hardware store. I don't remember the size, but I'll dig around and see if I can find out.

Yah, there is a hole at the top where the bold slips into, but doesnt catch any threads once in. I was thinkin that possibly there is a lot of crap in the holes that shouldn't be in there (from road, weather, etc). Did the aux. springs have a cap on that hole at one point in time??? If so, mine doesnt and could be the problem.

The bolt to use is 10mmx1.5x80mm (3.125").

Maybe your bolt just isn't long enough?

Yes, the aux spring does normally have a cap. That might be the problem if you're using the proper bolt and it still doesn't work.

ok the bolt i was usin was 1*1.25*80, so i think it was long enough, but im puttin $$ on the fact shit has gotten into the cavity on the aux spring....so gettin in there is the next step.....thanx for the help Shawn

- Drew

10mm is the width of the threaded shaft. The head would be either 13 or 15mm, I'm not sure which.

1.50mm is the pitch of the threads (distance between them).

80mm is the length.

You can try a C-clamp, but it does need to be compressed a bit or it will launch itself across the room when you unbolt it.