Emissions in Kansas and Missiouri

SmoothSteve3

Does anybody know what the emissions laws are in Kansas or Missouri? I'm looking to cut out my cat. converter, but i just dont know if its legal in either state (so i can have midas do it) or if its illegal (so i get to have fun doing it myself). Thanks.

SmoothSteve

um as far as i know the cat can be gutted but has to look in place

they have no testing but ks you can remove it because there is no state inspection except for when you buy the car at first. you have to have the sheriff inspect it and thats it

good luck

Actually, Highway Patrol inspects out of state vehicles.. but when I had mine inspected, he never once looked under the car to check the exhaust.

Actually, Highway Patrol inspects out of state vehicles.. but when I had mine inspected, he never once looked under the car to check the exhaust.

:oops: i knew it was one of those law enforcments didn't know it was out of state ones tho

I live in missouri, and as far as emissions go, as long as it can pass, your ok. BUT, you HAVE to have the cat to pass safety inspections. 2 different offices, 2 different inspectors. What alot of the hot rodders around here do, make a bolt flange on both sides of the exhaust system. When its time for inspections, bolt the cat in and go. When its time to do everything else, bolt in a straight pipe and go. works out really nice. The inspector thinks you have recently done alot of work on the car with new bolts, and a new looking cat, and normally will let you slide on other things. But they are really strict about ball joints,,,REALLY STRICT... And the laws for ball joints from FWD cars is completely different then 4 wheel drive or RWD. They are required to strictly inspect FWD cars, but not to inspect RWD or 4x4. But they do anyways, and use scare tactics to get a sale. I shut down one inspection station because they said my ball joints on my 97 ford (gasp) expedition were bad. Even thou I had a reciept showing they were replaced about 1 month and 600 miles earlier. If you think your safety inspector is illigitamit, you can get the state to inspect the car, but I wouldnt advise this, they are more strict obviously, but if you think your car is 100% ok. then go for it. You will shut down an inspection station. Thats what i know...

Neither state has statewide emissions testing, it depends on city and county. Now for removing the cat, that is a federal offense as is removing any other aspect of emissions (such as EGR and CCP)