STE 5-speed?? It exists!!

TeeJay3800

I am pretty sure that is incorrect. I thought people could only get a 5-speed connected with 3.1L non turbo and a turbo only in auto. If you look at the 97-03 GP it says that the SE GP had a 3.1L which is not correct.

um...the 97-03 SE does have a 3.1...it's called the 3100...the GT has the 3800 and the GTP the 3800 S/C

but i am almost positive the only 90 STE was the turbo...which of course only had an auto

I'm pretty sure you could get both the STE Turbo as well as the STE with the N/A 3.1 in 1990. My question was if you could get either with a 5-speed as the article seems to suggest you could.

If it's anything like Chevy with the 3.4L in the Z34 coupe came with a 5-speed manual option, but the 3.4L in the Euro3.4 sedan came only with 4-speed auto. It might be coupes had the manual option and sedans only came with automatic tranny.

Ok, I think we've established that you could order the STE with N/A 3.1 and 5 speed, but has anyone ever seen one of these cars?

Actually, I saw one a couple weeks ago, and I was very suprised. Until then, I didn't even know they were available. I pulled up to a stoplight (in my Turbo STE of course), and I was sitting there, and I look over and notice that there was a pretty nice maroon STE next to me. I was looking and I couldn't see the badging on the side of the car because the guy was on the right side of me, but I saw that it had no hood scoops. So while I am checking out this car at the stoplight, I notice the guy driving it doing the same to me, and then he rolls down his window. So I roll down my window and he compliments me on the turbo, and we get to talking and it had the factory 5 speed in it, which according to him was VERY rare. It was a nice car, and the guy was really cool. I then saw him on ClubGP the next day and talked to him a little more about it on there. He was a really cool guy.

But yes, the 5 speed was available in the '90 STE non-turbo. The turbo models all unfortunately got the automatic. :x

Shawn

Seen a 91 STE here with the DOHC and a 5 speed. That was a few years ago, and I haven't seen it since. It was beat all to hell, kept dying at stop lights, and was driven by some fat heffer.

Damn this is all news to me. I really thought u couldn't get a 5-speed with a turbo and i thought all 97+ GPs had a series II 3.8L, even the SEs. WEll i guess u learn something new everyday.

I really thought u couldn't get a 5-speed with a turbo

You can't. We said you could only get it with the N/A 3.1. Although a turbo/5 speed would be sweet.

Guest TurboSedan

was the STE the only W-body sedan to come with a Getrag 282?

i've seen a '92 Cutlass sedan on ebay once with a 3.4/Getrag 284 5-speed, that thing had to be pretty rare.

joshua