Anyone have a LCD/DVD setup installed???

jeremy

I am seriously considering doing this in the double din opening of the cutty but I want to see what else can be done....post pics please

thanks in advance...

You sure it's a double-DIN? I thought it was a weird proprietary 1-3/4 DIN.

the stock deck is ~4.5" in height which I believe is double din....

IIRC: the pre '95 cutty's had 1.5 DIN decks....

That sounds like it should hold a 2-DIN.

I don't think it would be a problem. I'm not too fond of those popout ones because they don't look the slightest bit factory. I would go with a Kenwood DDX7015. It looks like a factory navigation system like you'd find on an expensive luxury car.

That sounds like it should hold a 2-DIN.

I don't think it would be a problem. I'm not too fond of those popout ones because they don't look the slightest bit factory. I would go with a Kenwood DDX7015. It looks like a factory navigation system like you'd find on an expensive luxury car.

I was actually thinking of mounting a screen in the dash where the radio is, then relocating a single DIN radio to where the Climate control is and then moving the climate control somewhere else (possibly making it fit into the cubby)....if I can't relocate the climate control, I would have to relocate the radio...

I don't know how hard it will be to relocate the Climate control, I moved the one in my old Probe from the dash the center console and it was pretty easy, but I have yet to explore the specifics of the cutty....

see pic for reference

270861_79_full.jpg

You can certainly relocate the climate control if you want. It's just extending wires.

I personally would just invest in the DDX7015. It's $1400 from Crotchfield, but they're WAY overpriced and I'm sure it will be <$1000 from more reasonably priced places. Maybe cheaper on Ebay. Then no relocating will be necessary and the climate control will still be within easy reach.

I'm actually gonna do a dvd/lcd set up in my car, although it won't be with a flip out screen. If I had the dash like yours Jeremy, I was actually gonna mount a screen where the receiver is currently located, and mount the receiver below the dash, moulding it in with fiberglass. But, since the Z's dash is so different, the screens are going in the sunvisors.

i'm in the process of placing a 7" widescreen in the dash, and relocating the climate control to the little compartment under the head unit. that plan has been put on pause mid project, because the rear interior panels are being glassed to the rear deck, and to the box that has takn the place of my back seat. i plan on putting it in when i glass my dash.

I mounted my 5.6 LCD on top of my dash above my stereo and put my dvd player under my seat. I have a bench seat so its easy for me to slide out the dvd player when I want to use it. I was going to mount my LCD in the dash like 1ofakind did but realized the people in the back seat wouldnt be able to see it. I havent figured out where im going to mount my dvd player permentant. :D

I left the factory radio installed, and just beefed up the rest of the sound system with amps and speakers. Then I added a Delphi XM radio thats RF modulated. I mounted a DVD player in the center console, really small unit, about the size of the single remote cd players you see in the yukon trucks. I then mounted the LCD 7 inch screen on the dash and made it removeable. I use the XM radios terminals to play the DVD sound thru the sound system. The reason I did it this way is,,,,who wants to steal a factory radio. No one knows its more than that. And with the steering wheel controls for sound it controls out really easy. But it sounds really nice, the screen has a remote control terminal on it, so the dvd is remote controled, and the XM radio plays out really nice on the sound system. The only problem I ran into is thinking the GM wiring harness couldnt handle all the extra current, from xm, dvd, lcd. So i ran a extra power terminal switched by a relay into the cabin area, with a cig lighter adapter for most everything, and hard wired whats left. Its funtional, simple, inexpensive, and the DVD player has extra outlets to allow for up to 6 more LCDS, if I want to go that far.