2 Door new GTP??

jjs316

'97-'03 are availible both ways.

Actually, 97-02 were available in 2 or 4 door. But in '03 all you could get was a 4 door, and obviously it is the same for '04.

Shawn

I wish that the 4 door Cutlass's were made different. The 2 doors were damn sexy with their cool cladding and better looking front end, then they went all different on the 4 door. I don't get it. :?:

you don't understand by now? The collective GM mindset is one that strays away from common sense and rationality.

I dont know what it is about the new GTO that leaves such a bland taste in my mouth. By all rights you would think it should be a very exciting car. It certainly has all the performance hardware car nuts want, although I dont know what design engineer felt that a true dual exhaust system should exit the rear of the car in an asymetrical fashion (boo hiss!) If that drive train were under the 97-02 bodystyle w/ a ram air hood I would be drooling puddles all over my shoes. For some reason the styling of the new GTO looks very stretched-egg like, making me think...GTO-well, maybe they'll make it better someday. I think the 4dr GP is a much racier looking design. Had they made a true 2dr version of that car I think it would have looked much better, cuz I think the 2dr 97-02 GP is a sharp lookin ride!

I dont know what it is about the new GTO that leaves such a bland taste in my mouth. By all rights you would think it should be a very exciting car. It certainly has all the performance hardware car nuts want, although I dont know what design engineer felt that a true dual exhaust system should exit the rear of the car in an asymetrical fashion (boo hiss!) If that drive train were under the 97-02 bodystyle w/ a ram air hood I would be drooling puddles all over my shoes. For some reason the styling of the new GTO looks very stretched-egg like, making me think...GTO-well, maybe they'll make it better someday. I think the 4dr GP is a much racier looking design. Had they made a true 2dr version of that car I think it would have looked much better, cuz I think the 2dr 97-02 GP is a sharp lookin ride!

Think about what the 64 GTO was. Not much more than a big honkin' motor & a GTO badge or two in a midsize body. I think the Monaro makes a damn fine GTO, considering that it's basically the same concept. They just need to get off their asses & make an LS6 powered version, paint it orange call it 'The Judge" :D

exactly. It seems that all these car companies are afraid to make a car look unique. They have to get away from all this curved aerodynamic bullshit and but in some hard lines and sharp angles to their cars. Especially on ones that are supposed to be high performance.

That's why i like the *gasp* 2005 mustang so much. It harks back to the golden days of the mustang.

That's why i like the *gasp* 2005 mustang so much. It harks back to the golden days of the mustang.

The new Mustang is a nice looking car, but I'd still rather have the GTO. It's more of a hark(can you really say "hark like that?... :lol: ) back to the original GTO than the 05' Stang is.

It's a plain looking (for what class segment it's in) no frills car(granted, the new one's got leather & all the other appointments, but that's par for the course) with a badassed powertrain. If that dosen't describe the old GTO as well as the new one, I don't know what does.

now thats funny! :lol: ...but we can all thank Mr Bob Lutz for that. Granted, Lutz is a cool guy for GM to have on board but his decision to remake Pontiac in the new "American BMW"make me want to yawn...Lutz and many automotive press criticized Pontiac greatly over the years for too much plastic cladding, wings and scoops. I say those items gave the cars a macho attitude and a muscular appearence. Something the new GTO is sadly lacking. That kind of appearance is what still makes me stare everytime I see a WS6 Trans Am. That car looks so muscular it looks like it could reach down and rip the pavement into pea gravel. Even the new body GP has a nice shape but not as tuff as the 97-02 cars.

I love the old "Goats" myself but I really like the few years they made "The Judge"

Sadly, if you want a new coupe in the W body chassis, you are left with only one choice: Chevy Monte Carlo. I had one of the last production coupes for Grand Prix. It's build date was April 02. Have owned both the coupe and the sedan, I must say the sedan is much better choice if you have a family. Besides, fast ass 4 door grocery getters are way cool. PCM tuning is right around the corner for the 04 GTP's and I should have a high 12 second car that still gets around 28 MPG.

Yeah but give it some time, and all the aftermarket product makers will realize that the car is 'plain' looking and start making all kind of aftermarket for the GTO so someone could customize it to give it that hardline, scooped, performance car look.

there were quite few guys on the DodgeIntrepid board that are "other owners" now (I'd be one of those) but I still like to chime in over there sometimes. I know what you mean tho, if there are fellow owners of the same cars it provides all the valuble info. GM may be using the Holden as a stopgap until they can finish another platform, like they are doing with the Kappa cars (Pontiac Solstice, Chevy Nomad and Saturn Curve concepts) or at the very least if we get V8 powered "W" cars that aint gonna be so bad...OR maybe GM would follow suit with Chrysler (Lutz does have friends there) and return to a rear drive platform for the Monte-Impala-GrandPrix-GTO...which would give them a fleet car for police duty, true V8 roots for the NASCAR crowd and a cheaper to build, red blooded muscle car to replace the Firebird/Camaro (to take back part of the market no solely owned by the Mustang!)

Speaking of police duty, I can't wait to see if the Dodge Magnum will be going anywhere with that. I doubt they'd use the Chrysler, too Bentley-like/expensive for fleet service.

Can we say HEMI powered RWD/AWD? :D

There are a couple of guys on the Intrepid message board that work at the Brampton, Ontario plant. According to them, they will begin producing a sedan version of the Magnum sometime around August of this year as a replacement for the Intrepid ( which ended production at the beginning of September this past year)...the plant was down for retooling until January when they returned to start cranking out Magnums and 300s. One of them said they were hoping for a 2dr version called "Charger" but that looks aborted at this point. I've read that GM is planning on limiting production of the GTO (and at a sticker of over $30K, I can see why)...but I also don't see them importing the cars from Down Under for a long period of time.