ABS light

rudefyet

um...well i was in the tgp i was looking at earlier...had it running etc...it was in park and i pushed down on the brake pedal

i'm not used to this system but i get a humming noise and the pedal stiffens up

i then pushed on it 3 more times...the last time really hard...and the abs light starts flashing...should this happen?

yeah the abs was engaging...i'm gonna check it out a little better this weekend anyways....i was told it could just be low on brake fluid or something also

yeah the abs was engaging...i'm gonna check it out a little better this weekend anyways....i was told it could just be low on brake fluid or something also

Make sure you take the proper steps in checking the brake fluid in that car. You can't just pop open the resivoir and check. You need to pump the brake pedal 40 times with the car turned off. This depressurizes the system. There is instructions on the top of the resivoir cover on what to do before checking.

Accumulator needs replaced probably.. It's about an $80-100 part if I remember right.

Was the ABS engaging?

Not anymore, it's now a $200 part.

I guess it costs more as parts are depleted from GM stock.

I know my TGP will need a new one. Right now I have random power assist and the pump runs every time I touch the brakes.

You can get a replacement accumulator from Prior for $89 or $99. I bought one just last spring when I realized GM wanted $240 or something rediculous like that. Buy 'em why you can for that price.

I was considering that also, but it seems to be a hell of a job, and I bought turby's Prior rebuilt pump last summer. I'm gonna install it in the next week or two, hopefully my headlights will stop blinking when I hold the brakes down, and not to mention that damn anit-lock light.

My headlights blink and dim when the pump goes on too. Does that mean my pump is shot too?

I'm not driving my TGP (obviously unsafe) so I could yank my ABS and convert to vacuum brakes without being inconvenienced. I just don't know if I want to do that or not. The vacuum brakes are definitely a whole lot more reliable, that's for sure! Even vacuum ABS systems are pretty trouble-free, I had even thought about using the spare Bosch 5.3 ABS in my TGP if it weren't for the fact that there's no place to mount it.

Accumulator needs replaced probably.. It's about an $80-100 part if I remember right.

Was the ABS engaging?

Same thing happened in my Toronado. Its the accumulator. I don't know the exact price on a TGP, but when it went out on my Trofeo it cost me $1100 to have the dealer replace the accumulator and some ABS pump. I know, I went to a dealer...stone me now...I had no idea what was wrong at the time and I really had no idea how to fix ABS problems, especially those involving pressure charged Nitrogen balls.

I'm not totally sure about your pump, but I know that mine is on it's way out. I replaced the accumulator and it still blinks most of the time. There is a short somewhere on the unit, when I hold down the pedal in traffic the lights flicker and I can hear a clicking sound from under the dash. I get the 3 pedal presses that one should until the pump cycles, but I believe there is an internal leak or short in one of the sensors. This ABS Powercrapper is a PITA.

Even vacuum ABS systems are pretty trouble-free,

How do you know if you have Vacuum ABS or the other kind? My ABS light was always on, then I found the wire that plugs in the front pass. side caliper area was broken. I replaced the wire and now the light comes on when it feels like it.

I've read bits a pieces on the TGP forum about extracting codes from the PMIII. Can it actually be done? I would like to know exactly what is wrong with my unit before I remove it, just for a emergency replacement.

I've read bits a pieces on the TGP forum about extracting codes from the PMIII. Can it actually be done? I would like to know exactly what is wrong with my unit before I remove it, just for a emergency replacement.

I with him :wink:

Also this light only comes on after kinda pumping the brakes...just normal braking doesn't make it come on

How do you know if you have Vacuum ABS or the other kind? My ABS light was always on, then I found the wire that plugs in the front pass. side caliper area was broken. I replaced the wire and now the light comes on when it feels like it.

88-91 is PM3 (the bad ABS). 92+ is ABS VI, the vacuum ABS.

You have the good ABS, but it sounds like you might have a wheel sensor or wire problem.

I think you need a Tech 2 scan tool to get the codes. I looked at the service manual, but I don't think PM3 can blink out codes.