need to fix crank windows

musthavemuzk

again on my new car

93 GP LE sedan 3.1

it has crank windows.

front ones do not roll down.

actually the pass crank does nothing but spin. window goes nowhere.

drivers crank will put the window down and up but is stiff as hell and slow as hell too.

is this something fairly easy to fix?

would it be worth it to look into converting to power windows?

same money to do either one??

Monty

Sounds like you need new regulators. The stiff one might be possible to lube up.

Converting to power would be a bit more work as far as wiring and obtaining switches, door panels, etc. I know you're used to wiring, so maybe it's not a big deal to you. Swapping the regulator will be the same amount of work.

But, are you keeping the car or dumping it when you get your Cutlass running? If you're not planning to keep it long, power windows probably won't affect your resale value because it's going to be next to nothing either way. So unless it's a keeper, I wouldn't bother with a conversion.

If you need anything out of my '89, let me know.. Its a coupe, but I'm sure a lot of the parts would swap. It does have functioning power windows last time I had it running.

makes sense Shawn

hit up the local yard and http://www.car-parts.com locally they want 35 a regulator but had none on hand. at car-parts they ranged from 25-40 but not alot listed.

weather changed for the COLD yesterday so it will have to wait a little bit.

temps went from high 30 to sub zero the next day.

still working on other problem which is more important than windows with temps as they are.

thanx for the input

Justin will keep that offer in mind.

Monty

By the end of next week I should have all of my crank stuff out.. depending on if tomorrow's junkyard run goes well and if I can get my motors wired up. If you need a new crank mechanism I'll sell it cheap. Like $6 plus shipping or so per door.

The hardest part of changing them would probably be popping the c-clip off the crank arm and drilling out the rivets :roll:

thanks guys.

got my SES thing fixed tonight so i can at least drive my car at will.

still think i need to replace TPS but not sure.

6 + shipping sounds good.

at car-parts.com there are different numbers for sedan and coupe window regulators manual type.

but mayb i can find something i need off of your 89 Justin. :)

Monty

at car-parts.com there are different numbers for sedan and coupe window regulators manual type.

I'd imagine the coupe ones are bigger.. bigger door, bigger window.

I'd imagine the coupe ones are bigger.. bigger door, bigger window.

Eh... a more powerful motor to haul the window up and down :? I dunno. I know I've seen a few parts with different part numbers that end up being the same thing.

I don't know if you have yours available to look at but here's a comparison pic for front sedan power setups.

http://members.cox.net/subliminalexistence/images/cutty/IMG_3430%20(Custom).jpg

http://members.cox.net/subliminalexistence/images/cutty/IMG_3433%20(Custom).jpg

The ones with the straight arm without the belt are fronts.. other two are rears. I got one rear crank out already, I'll snap a pic of that tomorrow.

iirc it is a vapor barrier.

to keep moisture out.

looks like the inside of the door has been worked on before.

Monty

Ah. alrighty.

And nah, that pic was from after I started peeling it out of the way. They were untouched before I got to them.