Turn signal arm gone crazy..........

90KUTTY

Okay I just noticed this today, when I push the signal arm down to make a left turn the front signals operate fine but the tail light signal does not come on at all unless I stick my finger in the whole where the base of the arm is and push down then it comes on. When I want to make a right turn I push the arm up and sometimes the signals don't come on at all unless I push the arm up and hold it there. So I just want to know does something have to be replaced or just cleaned or what? need help quick :confused: :confused: :confused: :dammit:

i was able to clean mine when the same thing happened works fine now for 7 months use some wite lithium greese for electrics on the conections will last longer but i would get a second opinion on that i used it worked for me

527299_6_full.jpg

Hey i had that problem once. on mine i would have to hold the arm up to get it to signal. but then i would smell smoke or burning. so i replaced the switch and i saw that the contacts were burnt out black. im not sure but i dont think thats something you can just clean. tough brake too, cause the switches cost between $70-100. i think autozone has one for like $70 but i dont know which car you have if its the same app. either way you have to have the steering wheel pulled to get to the switch, pretty hard to do yourself (unless you have the puller). i dont know if youre doing the work yourself or not. but if not the labor to clean it is probably the same to replace. good luck and keep me posted

Hey i had that problem once. on mine i would have to hold the arm up to get it to signal. but then i would smell smoke or burning. so i replaced the switch and i saw that the contacts were burnt out black. im not sure but i dont think thats something you can just clean. tough brake too, cause the switches cost between $70-100. i think autozone has one for like $70 but i dont know which car you have if its the same app. either way you have to have the steering wheel pulled to get to the switch, pretty hard to do yourself (unless you have the puller). i dont know if youre doing the work yourself or not. but if not the labor to clean it is probably the same to replace. good luck and keep me posted

i know it sounds cheap put i was able to clean mine with sand paper i didnt have 110.00 to spend at the time

question.... you ever have smoke come out of the steering column??

nope never do or never had i made sure all the contacts were in good shape after cleaning and makeing sure that they had enough spring to them to make contact

its not any difference then going to a junk yard and getting a part you know nothing about

but this is only a temp fix i highly recomend to fix it with a new one

question.... you ever have smoke come out of the steering column??

yes it happened to me...i was scared liek shit thinking that the car could catch on fire..it was because of the stupid signal lever...which i had to push up or down to get the signals working..anyway i ended up going to the scrapyard and getting a used one for 10$CAN...and installed it last summer..works great....

it is your turn signal switch. you can get one from a junkyard for between 3-40 bucks thats still good and fix it up a little before you put it in. oh and its not at all difficult to take your steering wheel off without a puller. thread the bolt that hold on the steering wheel so it flush with the tip of the shaft, get a hammer with a brass punch, have 1 person sit in the drivers seat pulling on the steering wheel and have another person tap the center of the shaft with the hammer and brass punch, give it a couple good taps and it should come right off. worked fine for me. oh and when your replacing it, there is a 2-wire connector that connects to s lot close to the where you stick your key in, its a bitch to get at, but not if you remove the spring for the tilt, there should be a silver thing about thge size of a nickel with a square cut out of it, stick a screw driver in the square and push the spring retainer down, and twist (kinda like a childproof bottle) and it should slide right out along with the spring. the spring is gonna be very greasy so you might want to have a few shop towels laying around. i hope this helps..