Update on Fuel rail mounts

god910

Well, I FINALLY had a few minutes to work on Black Sunshine to install the Accel injectors. Last time I was in a hurry and didn't get to really check on fitment. Upon further inspection the injectors and the rail seated quite tightly. (Tighter than I thought they would, when I pulled the rail there were 4 o-rings stuck in it!) It seems that 2 of the injectors will not seat perfectly. Whichever end you choose they teeter in the middle. SOOOOOO... I'm not going to be able to just make the mounts, it's gonna have to go as a rail/mount kit. I just hope there is enough material in the rail to accomodate the section. If not, then it will have to be the lower intake that looses metal. I was hoping to make this an easy install for the less mechanically inclined of us. Does anyone have a pic of their fuel rail? Or a part number? I ask because I believe, but am not certain, that the N/A and Turbo have the same rail. If so, I will head to the yard and grab a few to massage if you will.

That's all for now. I had to move the Cutty into the garage to fix an oil leak, but should be back into TGP world next weekend or so.

P.S. Mod types, if you think this will help the masses you may move it as you see fit. I just don't know many non TGP owners that want bigger/better injectors.

Well, I FINALLY had a few minutes to work on Black Sunshine to install the Accel injectors. Last time I was in a hurry and didn't get to really check on fitment. Upon further inspection the injectors and the rail seated quite tightly. (Tighter than I thought they would, when I pulled the rail there were 4 o-rings stuck in it!) It seems that 2 of the injectors will not seat perfectly. Whichever end you choose they teeter in the middle. SOOOOOO... I'm not going to be able to just make the mounts, it's gonna have to go as a rail/mount kit. I just hope there is enough material in the rail to accomodate the section. If not, then it will have to be the lower intake that looses metal. I was hoping to make this an easy install for the less mechanically inclined of us. Does anyone have a pic of their fuel rail? Or a part number? I ask because I believe, but am not certain, that the N/A and Turbo have the same rail. If so, I will head to the yard and grab a few to massage if you will.

That's all for now. I had to move the Cutty into the garage to fix an oil leak, but should be back into TGP world next weekend or so.

You are referring to getting the rail to sit low enough for bigger (capacity) injectors? I tired this trick by elongating the mounting holes in the rail clips (name?) but the next time tried without and found the bottom o-rings did fit tight with no leaks (pressure tested with manifold off). True it does not “look†as tight as the longer Multecs, but I know of a few other Accel owners who have not found it a problem. Like you, something else/easy would be nice!!

P.S. Mod types, if you think this will help the masses you may move it as you see fit. I just don't know many non TGP owners that want bigger/better injectors.

What you talking boy :lol: Keep on talking (here that is 8) )

Jeff M

You are referring to getting the rail to sit low enough for bigger (capacity) injectors? I tired this trick by elongating the mounting holes in the rail clips (name?) but the next time tried without and found the bottom o-rings did fit tight with no leaks (pressure tested with manifold off). True it does not “look†as tight as the longer Multecs, but I know of a few other Accel owners who have not found it a problem. Like you, something else/easy would be nice!!

Yeah, the rails stop when they hit the 3 and 4 intake runners. I think by losing a couple hundredths it might clear. I too noted that the injectors do seat better than I had expected, but am just not happy not being able to mount the rail. So did you grind off the set pin on the rail clips? I noticed when I tried to mount the originals they were at an angle due to the set pins. I will have to take pics to let everyone know what we're talking about. Still hoping to work out an easy solution to help upgrade this infinetly UNupgradeable vehicle. :lol:

Yeah, the rails stop when they hit the 3 and 4 intake runners. I think by losing a couple hundredths it might clear. I too noted that the injectors do seat better than I had expected, but am just not happy not being able to mount the rail. So did you grind off the set pin on the rail clips? I noticed when I tried to mount the originals they were at an angle due to the set pins. I will have to take pics to let everyone know what we're talking about. Still hoping to work out an easy solution to help upgrade this infinetly UNupgradeable vehicle. :lol:

Its a pain for sure, been working on this animal for a while and it’s tough to upgrade most everything, at least after all these years, I have been getting some results, problem is those hounding me for what I found over the years have waited so long a lot of them have given up :lol: After seeing a lot of cam bearings toasted and I mean nasty in engines that were fine everywhere else, and some as low as 50k miles and good care still had this cam bearing problem, which as I said somewhere before, is one key area we are loosing oil supply to those failed cam lobes and lifters. BUT after a lot of work, finally got some serious duty cam bearings, way beyond just a very good Clevite Upgrade, one set is for normal rpm and High-HP, the other for Higher rpm Horse Power which is Teflon Coated. Both have a very high-temp silicon based backing metal (and other components safe for street use), this is some true high-end stuff that came from the professional racers (HARD to get to know their secrets :( ). So some successes have been slow getting here, and it has taken more commitment than most would give, but every area that needed help I have been attacking now for a long time till I am very happy with the resolve 8) ! Back to the injectors, actually I kept the set pins but instead elongated on an angle the pin hole so the rails drops, then grind off some of the lower intake, there is plenty of metal there, I think there was something else I ran into I cannot remember right now, but since the last setups I tested with none of these mods had no leakage issues running some pretty high boost/mass air, I kind of went on to other challenges, and 3 have had this non-mod setup now for 3 to 5 years still holding well! I have not had time to check into it but there is someone on eBay selling a lot of Multec Injectors in sizes better than the choices we once had, might be worth checking if there is now some of these longer body type Multecs like we have but in the 29-30 lb range. As for Multecs, they ARE designed to be less prone to clogging up not matter who bitches about them here (I have a set now partially clogged from the previous owner storing the car too much without the proper care), but there are reasons injectors clog up and a set of Pintles would have been clogged up long before the Multecs with this type of care! We are also talking about different spray patterns here too, Pintle are typically more a straight dump into their target zone, where as Multecs fan out more, which is better for breaking up the fuel supply/droplets and starting off homogenizing the mix better (along with our swirl heads), though some racers I know are getting good results from a damn near single stream shot at the back of the valve stem, but those are pure racing engines that have serious air flow going through their intake ports, and low flow/low rpms are something they don’t see or care about, i.e. not good for idling/normal driveability.

Blah, blah, back to work for me!

Jeff M

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I had my intake off this weekend so I figured it was a good time to put in the 28lb injectors I've had laying around for a while. I ran in the same problems that were discussed in this thread. I'm thinking of slotting the hold down brakets for the fuel rail, but I'm curious as to what everyone else has done.