what should i do with my car....

GrandPrix98GT

should i....  

1. 1. should i....

• keep it, make it faster
    • get a GTP, make it go z00m z00m

should i keep my car and make it faster and still be "lucky" to have this nice of a car at 17years old?

or should i save up some money until about August/September-ish and get a white or silver GTP and make it faster?

the gt has the 3800 in it already right?? if so y not just s/c it woudnt that be cheaper in the long run?

Isn't it really hard/near impossible to make a N/A 3800 into a L67, and doesn't the L67 have different internals?

the gt has the 3800 in it already right?? if so y not just s/c it woudnt that be cheaper in the long run?

Isn't it really hard/near impossible to make a N/A 3800 into a L67, and doesn't the L67 have different internals?

Buy the complete L67 drivetrain and ECM from a wrecked one and swap. Keep your original in case it goes "boom" instead of "zoom".

It's not impossible, or even really all that difficult, to do an L36 --> L67 conversion. It's just really expensive. Not cheaper than a swap, Haz. Potentially more powerful, if done in certain ways, but not cheaper. I think you should keep the GT. Buy a cheaper car for going fast, and use the GT as your daily driver. I think a 3.4 w-body, or something else faster but older (therefore cheaper), would be the best way to take care of your need for speed while still keeping a nice car.

Don't listen to them. An N/A 3800 has more than enough potential to put up some numbers. Hell it starts out over 200, so I say keep it. All we need is another L67 running around. Then when people say, yeah, you beat me, but it's supercharged. You can stick your thumb in their ass.

thanks for the input so far.

reasons for wanting a GTP: it wouldnt cost quite as much to make faster (smaller pulley, intake, PCM could get you high 13s), whereas a GT would take a lot more than that to get to that point.

a different color could be nice. with the school parking lot, the second i clean my car and get to school, its dirty (but hey, its black, what you expect?)

reasons for keeping my car: i dont wanna have to get my hood repainted (if i get a diff. color)

also, i should be thankful to have this nice, expensive(well, for a high school kid at least) car-- which could still be made fast (just take more $$$)

i am trying to make a similar decision.

i really really really really want a 3800 S/C

preferably in a GP but a regal or bonny or ultra or even a transplant into one of my two current W's would be cool to.

do i need it? not really

are there alot of them around? yes

is the 3800 enough? for me? yes for many others? no

do i race? no

so a 97-03 GP SE or GT would proly be enough for me. but i still want that GTP. less cash up front and for insurance for the SE or GT as compared to the GTP unless i got for a 97 or 98 GTP as it is an add on and not a different model for insurance purposes.

not a bling person more of a sleeper kinda guy.

so flash will not happen.

but still want a nice drive and some pep to the ride.

car would be driven year round. i live in NW MN and temps range from 100 down to -40 or more even.

just do not know what to do.

for now i save and dream.

Monty

I talked to a friend of mine who owns a 97 or 98 GTP pace car edition, and he seems to know alot about the two engines. He says it is possible to turn that L36 into an L67, but there are so many differences that the cost in doing so, and having the motor as efficient as the l67 is pointless.

buy a gtp

there are a number of discussions at any one time about converting the L36 into an L67 over at clubGP.

sounds like alot of thinkin and parts are involved

but it can be done yes.

what about a turbo on the L-36?

or just making it an all motor thing?

cam, rockers, computer, headers, exhaust, whatever else fits the all motor thing.

Monty

Don't listen to them. An N/A 3800 has more than enough potential to put up some numbers. Hell it starts out over 200, so I say keep it. All we need is another L67 running around. Then when people say, yeah, you beat me, but it's supercharged. You can stick your thumb in their ass.

You are 100% correct, the L36 is PLENY strong enough to go fast. The 2nd & 3rd fastest GP's in the country run L36 blocks! One is a CSC'ed GP GT, and the other one is Zooomer. Last time he blew up his L67 block, he just put in the N/A bottom end, and it has held up to PLENTY low 11 runs!

Personally, in your situation, I would put a CSC on your GT, and then laugh at GTPs.

Shawn

as of right now, i have my mind set that i am gonna mod my GT.

i'm 17, and am fortunate enough to have a car like this anyway, ya dont see too many peeps my age with GPs.

i'm gonna save up money, and get a cam, headers, full exhaust, computer chip, and whatever else to keep it all motor 8)