What Socket is Needed to Remove Front Seat?

kcac

I've never done it on a W, but I've done it on other cars. There will definitely be some Torx bolts, and maybe a few regular hex-headed bolts too. Just go to the hardware store and buy a set of Torx sockets for your socket wrench. Be really careful, and whatever you do, DO NOT STRIP THE HEAD OF A TORX BOLT. I stripped the head of one over a month ago in my dad's El Camino, and he just got it out yesterday. If you're careful you won't have any problems. Good luck.

The car is a 95 Cutlass. It looked like some kind of Torx head. Does anyone who has done this remember what kind of socket they used?

Yeah.....a 6 point 5/16" socket fits over the head perfectly. I just finished swapping out seats about 30 min ago

technically its 6 point 8mm but 5/16 does suffice as long as you dont need to put too much torque on it to break them loose

hahahaa....that would make more sense. I lost my 8mm so I had use 5/16" and it worked just fine and the ones from the 90 parts car broke free just fine. I guess I was lucky. Oh, I found my 8mm after I got done. It fell out of the track of the new seats after I got them in :roll: :lol:

if you do strip out the head, take a dremel with a cutting wheel and make a slot in the screw, then take a flathead and take it out.

That's ingenious!

if you do strip out the head, take a dremel with a cutting wheel and make a slot in the screw, then take a flathead and take it out.

That's ingenious!

Yes it is, but sometimes the bolt is torqued in too hard to be taken out that way.

Guest TurboSedan
That's interesting, my 92 Cutty has inverted Torx bolts in it. Huh.

my '91 has inverted torx head screws also....i thought all of them were like that?

joshua

my 90 cutlass has the reversed torx as well.

have not looked at my 93 GP that closely yet.

i think it was called an E-xx. not sure if it was a 20 or 25 or what.

and that is down in my car right now

Monty