FFP Coil Over Install

tyroelite

I just got my coilovers and started assembling them but ran into a problem. After the sleeve and the spring go on, the next thing is a washer but it doesn't fit over the top part of the strut all the way, then obviously, the rest of the bushing, top mount, bushing, washers and nut don't fit so I could tighten the nut at the top. Any ideas from anyone who's installed them? I'm wondering if I can grind the inside of the washer a little to make it fit or if i can find another one that will fit better. Oh, it isn't a regular flat washer, it has a taperd piece on the bottom of it.

Guest TurboSedan
I just got my coilovers and started assembling them but ran into a problem. After the sleeve and the spring go on, the next thing is a washer but it doesn't fit over the top part of the strut all the way, then obviously, the rest of the bushing, top mount, bushing, washers and nut don't fit so I could tighten the nut at the top. Any ideas from anyone who's installed them? I'm wondering if I can grind the inside of the washer a little to make it fit or if i can find another one that will fit better. Oh, it isn't a regular flat washer, it has a taperd piece on the bottom of it.

pics would really help. does the sleeve slide all the way over the strut? is the lower spring mount threaded onto the sleeve? are you using KYB's? what washer are you talking about?

my sleeves wouldn't slide over the KYB strut body until i ground some material off the upper strut lip with a 10" hand file. it wasn't much material - it only took about 10 minutes with the hand file then they slid over the strut body perfectly.

joshua

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera. But to answer your questions... yes, they are KYB struts, the sleeve fits fine, and the spring also. The washer I'm talking about is the tapered one that goes under the bottom bushing. It only fit down to where the threads stopped. On my struts at least there is threading at the top for about 3 inches then the threading stops and it gets a little bit wider for about 3 more inches and then gets wider still for the rest of the shaft length. I got it to fit now by just drilling the center of the washer out a little bit. It was only off by about 1/16" or so. I did contact Micahal at FFP and he repied to put the bigger washer on the bottom and then put the taperd washer on the top but that isn't the way the directions he included or the way that the pic above is assembled... Oh well, its on now and together, Install begins in about 1 hour I hope... That is assuming I can break the bolts loose... How'd you guys do that??? Mine are REALLY tight.

How did you guys tighten the nut on top down to squash the lock washer? I try to turn it down but it just spins the strut rod with it instead of making it tighten.

Guest TurboSedan

isn't there a place on top of the strut rod to hold it with a torx wrench while you tighten the nut with a wrench?

it's been awhile (8/01) but i think that's how i did mine.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
Grab it with a wrench, but put a cloth inbetween the rod and the wrench as to not damage the strut.

wow i don't think i could bring myself to do that!

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
Shouldn't make a difference because the strut will never be compressed that much (as long as you grab the top part of it). ;)

ah i see

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

haha no really i do :) it looks like the coil would actually bind up before the top part of the rod went into the strut anyway. but i could have sworn i kept the strut rod from turning by holding it with a torx wrench bit (or was it an allen wrench?....) on a long extension with a 1/2" driver, and then holding it while grabbing the nut with a big channel locks and tightening it. it was a bitch but it worked.

it's been quite awhile tho - my memory has kinda faded.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
while grabbing the nut with a big channel locks and tightening it. it was a bitch but it worked.

btw, i would have rather used an end wrench instead of the channel locks, but the nut was recessed a little and the channel locks was the only thing that would get ahold of the nut.

joshua