briandors

Bought my car a year ago. It was a bit abused.

95 Cutlass Supreme Convertible (though this is a w-body question in general)

The plastic part that you step over to get into the car, that sweeps all the way back as part of the "side wall" of the back seat, is cracked around the stepping area. I'm guessing instead of stepping over the sill, kids (adults??) would jump right on it.

This is quite a huge piece of interior trim to have to buy, I doubt it'd be cheap even at the junk yard.

I was thinking of buying shrink wrap tubing in like 2" diameter size (know any sources?) or maybe I could get some piece of plastic or aluminum made to cover up the cracking and screw it down.

Anyone else have this problem? What did you do?

Brian

I replaced the piece. I don't remember how much it cost, maybe about $20 shipped?

Which side do you need? I have some spare passenger side ones with minor problems, but they sound to be in better shape than yours. You can have them for the price of shipping.

One has the screw hole broken out of it, but is overall in good shape.

The other has screw hole broken out of it, and also a chunk broken out behind the screw hole.

It pissed me off that in my convertible, I replaced this part, and now the door trim panel rubs on it and has scuffed it up. Grrrr.... it's quality and fit & finish issues like this that frustrate me about American cars.

just $20 + shipping? where did you find them? at that rate i'd buy "new" ones no doubt.

we are talking about the same piece right? this isn't really the door sill protector, this is the piece of plastic that is right next to the carpeting, and connects the front dash to the rear seat area.

brian

Yeah, that plastic strip that partly covers the carpet and is the same color as the rest of the interior plastic. Has 1 phillips screw in the back.

If that's what you're talking about, I'll see if I can dig up a part # tonight when I get home from work. What color did you need, and which side?

mine is the graphite (black-ish). upon closer inspection, what i noticed is that in the convertible, it has cut-outs for the rear power window switches. so this piece is convertible specific, might make it harder to find.

brian

Okay, I think we are talking about different parts then.

I was thinking of the inner door sill (not the black outer one).

You're talking about the entire quarter trim panel that has the armrest, speaker grille, and everything on it, right?

Yeah, that's gonna be high $$$. My guess is $400 or so.

What I would do is use a strong epoxy, such as JB Weld, and epoxy the crack back together. Then sand it smooth, and paint to match.

I don't know if yours is vinyl covered... mine is, that might make fixing it a little more complicated. Maybe cut the vinyl out of that area, JB Weld, sand smooth, and use a vinyl repair kit to cover the area?

in my car, the piece that has the speaker grille, arm rest, etc. all flows down and forward as a pseudo-sill, and then meets the dash near the parking brake. and unless i am not paying attention, this is all one piece. or maybe where the cracks are, is where the seams used to be between front and rear halves of this thing.

maybe i should drop by a used car lot and look at a coupe/convertible.

brian

Hmmmm, it could be my 94 is different, but on mine it's 2 pieces. The rear quarter trim panel does act as part of the sill, but only a few inches. The rest of the sill to the dash is a separate piece.

so it must be that where the crack/damage is, is where the seam used to be. both halves seem to be missing a bit of plastic, i had assumed it was just crushed in this area. but now thanks to your help, i think i understand this is where the two pieces came together. i will have to inspect more carefully to see if i need both, or just one.

thank you again, you've been very helpful!!

brian