What should I get

LuminaMan93

Today is my 19th birthday and I have some extra cash.:D I have a few ideas of what I might get. I was thinking about a K&N cone filter for my intake. I was also thinking about new spark plugs and wires, the Lumina is due for a tune-up. I was also want a flowmaster muffler, if not now, early this summer.

Tune-Up first, K&N is a must, and get those Flows later.

Happy Birthday!! :cheers:

tune up is always important., maybe do a full synthetic oilchange, coolant flush, and a tranny torque flush...

Tune up definately, K&N's are a waste unless you have something done that would make the engine acutally pull that much air (i.e. bigger throttle body, headers with high flow exhaust) The Tune up sounds like its the one that will acutally do some good right now, and Happy Birthday!

You only say that Catsup1996 because you fell for the "Up to 20 Extra HP" Bullshit, and you rushed out to buy one, and now your fooling yourself into believing you can feel more power. :lol: :lol: :lol:

K&N's are a waste unless you have done other mods that make it so your engine can acutally pull that much air, that quickly. Air Filters are not the "Performance Parts", better air filters are simply part of the add ons to them.

a drop-in K&N might not make that big a difference, but a cool air intake tube with a cone filter can make a big difference...like 5 more mph speed in the 1/4 mile worth...when the noise silencer and other restrictions are gone and the air reaching the TB is cooler (and more of it) the sensors tell the PCM to richen the fuel shot to compensate...thats the same reason lowtemp thermostats increase HP as well.

You can make all the ghetto cold air shit you want, but it wont make more air come into the motor. The TB restricts how much air comes in. You wont get more air in the motor with a ghetto intake. And, low temp thermostats dont increase HP......they make gas mileage suck and you run rich all the time.

low temp thermostats are not a good choice for a car that is a daily driver for exactly the reasons you cited...especially if you live in a colder part of the country.

If cold air intakes made no difference then why is it a paramount change for even mild racing engines?...and you can't say that racing internal engine mods are required first...if that was the case then why dont all of us leave our cars stock in factory form if the simple mods make no difference?...Lower restriction intakes and filter are a good first step because technically an engine doesn't "suck" air in...the low pressure created in the cylinder is filled by the difference in atmospheric pressure, which is why cars make less HP at higher altitudes...anything you can do to ease the restiction to the TB improves the airflow and lets more air pass when the throttle blade is open.

The lower classes in SCCA and NASA limit modification to the cars engines...and I have yet to see even a slightly modified competiton car that an untouched intake tract, and class racers take every advantage no matter how small the gain.

low temp thermostats are not a good choice for a car that is a daily driver for exactly the reasons you cited...especially if you live in a colder part of the country.

If cold air intakes made no difference then why is it a paramount change for even mild racing engines?...and you can't say that racing internal engine mods are required first...if that was the case then why dont all of us leave our cars stock in factory form if the simple mods make no difference?...Lower restriction intakes and filter are a good first step because technically an engine doesn't "suck" air in...the low pressure created in the cylinder is filled by the difference in atmospheric pressure, which is why cars make less HP at higher altitudes...anything you can do to ease the restiction to the TB improves the airflow and lets more air pass when the throttle blade is open.

The lower classes in SCCA and NASA limit modification to the cars engines...and I have yet to see even a slightly modified competiton car that an untouched intake tract, and class racers take every advantage no matter how small the gain.

Yeah, I know how a motor works :roll: And, why do people do airbox mods first? They are the cheapest/easiest and people think they do more than they really do. I was saying that you arent going to gain 5mph in the 1/4 from a "cold air" intake

I got 5mph after the filter change (I should say intake and filter) om my Intrepid. Granted, the car was a sled to beginwith...a 3.3 pushrod engine in a full size 4dr car doesn't make for a rocket ship...I had already done the exhaust and the figures aren't exact since it was just me and a friend of mine with a stopwatch...the first time we ran our cars he timed me at 17 sec and I was doing 80mph crossing the line...about a month later we went out again after I added the intake...this time he said I was just under 17sec and my speed was 85...Yes all of this is shadetree type analysis, but whether its tenths or hundreths of a sec or a mph off doesnt matter, there was still a noticable difference.