Bullshit or not?

digitaloutsider

I've seen this come up on & off. In HotRod (?) magazine a couple years ago, there was basically the same thing asked in the tech questions section. If I can locate it in my collection, I'll post it. IIRC, they went into mathematical formulas showing how big of an electric motor would be needed to perform as good as the engine driven versions. It turned out to be something ridiculous that would not be possible.

I've seen this come up on & off. In HotRod (?) magazine a couple years ago, there was basically the same thing asked in the tech questions section. If I can locate it in my collection, I'll post it. IIRC, they went into mathematical formulas showing how big of an electric motor would be needed to perform as good as the engine driven versions. It turned out to be something ridiculous that would not be possible.

That's what I thought :D

It's not complete bullshit. It's like the e-RAM. You're not going to get an extra 50hp out of it, but you might get 10. You're still gonna have some of the same power loss issues as you do with a belt-driven S/C, because the alternator is belt-driven, and because electricity is power too. That said, air is air. That fan will put some extra air into your intake system, and that can't be a bad thing. I think it's obvious that it won't be as good as a real forced induction system, but I think it's probably safer than a hood based Ram-Air system, and it probably has more noticeable benefits too. It's not worth breaking the bank, but if you can find something like this for a reasonable amount of money, I don't think it's that terrible of an investment.

It's not complete bullshit. It's like the e-RAM. You're not going to get an extra 50hp out of it, but you might get 10. You're still gonna have some of the same power loss issues as you do with a belt-driven S/C, because the alternator is belt-driven, and because electricity is power too. That said, air is air. That fan will put some extra air into your intake system, and that can't be a bad thing. I think it's obvious that it won't be as good as a real forced induction system, but I think it's probably safer than a hood based Ram-Air system, and it probably has more noticeable benefits too. It's not worth breaking the bank, but if you can find something like this for a reasonable amount of money, I don't think it's that terrible of an investment.

I'd agree, its way better than ghetto rigging a hot air intake and probably sees more of an increase in power comparatively. The blower can't be more than a couple amp motor, and if you figure 6 amps if roughly 1 hp then the thing definitly works as advertised to increase horsepower even if the gain is only 5-10 hp. And besides since when did everyone on this site get to snobbish as to turn down 10hp for $100? That sounds to me like the holy grail that everyone looks for when they do their $500 dollar exhuast.

Thanks, WhiteOut.

]

Actually, 1hp = 745.7 watts. at 746W/12V = 62A. That's not how to calculate your power gain though. You'd need to find out the momentum of the air that the fan makes, then do some calculus and eventually end up with the Energy and Power, and then you'd still be wrong because of resistance, air temp, and all kinds of other shit. The best way to calculate your gains is would be using some moderately easy engine/air math, and you'd still only have a theoretical number. The best thing to do is think it through and realize that air is air, and air is good for horsepower, then buy one cheap and try it out.

I have a friend who has a SHO tauras with a 3.4 v8 4cam motor. He bought one of these pieces of crap and my red z34 that runs 16.4 can take him through the quarter. Its a waste of money not to mention the ristriction of air flow when you dont have the switch flipped on. :roll: Its definetly a waste of 20 bucks The people that buy these r the people who think high test gass makes u go faster.

I'd go rent the 2fast 2furious and get some gum for that.

I'd agree, its way better than ghetto rigging a hot air intake and probably sees more of an increase in power comparatively. The blower can't be more than a couple amp motor, and if you figure 6 amps if roughly 1 hp then the thing definitly works as advertised to increase horsepower even if the gain is only 5-10 hp. And besides since when did everyone on this site get to snobbish as to turn down 10hp for $100? That sounds to me like the holy grail that everyone looks for when they do their $500 dollar exhuast.

:lol2: haha i don't really understand why people spend so much money on an exhaust, when you can't even put a true dual exhaust on our cars

hell, i got my dual exhaust with flowmaster mufflers for just over $200

that just made me want to laugh

It says in the ad that its 2.7 amps. that makes it good enough for 32.4 watts. its going to subtract power. In two ways, by straining the engine through the alternator and by restricting airflow.

On more than one occasion I have heard of those um... Plastic squirrel cages flying apart, then your engine will have to do something w/ all the chungs sent hurling into the engine. It usually chooses to compress everything that gets sent into it. But it might have a hard time compressing plastic.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10hp for $100?? Horsepower to what?? Your 3.1 needs more air to run at mid rpm range, so this thing will only cause a restriction in the intake. Think about how much a REAL turbo or supecharger flow PLUS (+) the amount of compressed air WITHIN that CFM being flowed....thats alot of fucking air!!

Here's something you can do to give you a hands down experience with what I'm talking about...find a friend with a turbo....disconnecnt the piping from the intercooler to the throttle body (or from the turbo discharge tube to the throttle body) and aim it at your face....your gonna feel alot of fucking air!!! Now buy that piece of crap on ebay and do the same...it wont even cool you on a hot day....

fuck using it on any vehicle, stick it in your computer case and PREVENT your CPU and motherboard from frying from seeing so much bullshit on ebay