oil idiot light

ismellrealbad

quick question. 88 regal 2.8. what would cause the oil light to go off? not the low oil level light but the little picture idiot light. i guess it means low oil pressure but i forget. if it is what are the possible causes of this if there are no leaks and it does not appear to be the pump. the car doesnt run right or at all now either. what can i look for

Possibly a bad oil sending unit? I'd have it checked out with a pressure gauge though, you don't want to mess around with low oil pressure or you'll have a GP with a dead 2.8.

You do mean Regal with a dead 2.8, right? I'd hook up a manual gauge to the oil pressure port where the sender is, next to the oil filter. See what you have for pressure, that's pretty much the only way.

If you remove the connector for the Oil Pressure switch, there are 3 wires, two of them are for the Fuel Pump. If the pressure is low, or the switch is bad, then the fuel pump won't run. You'll need to short the connector in order to test it with a manual pressure gauge.

well the switch isnt bad i dont think because supposedly the car doesnt run correctly or at all now. its my freinds car and i dont feel like persuing this anymore unless i have some good information as to what i can go about doing. hm is this true the fuel pump wont run if the pressure is too low? maybe thats why the car wont start or run sometimes. where excatly is the switch located at? a picture would be helpful

f you remove the connector for the Oil Pressure switch, there are 3 wires, two of them are for the Fuel Pump. If the pressure is low, or the switch is bad, then the fuel pump won't run. You'll need to short the connector in order to test it with a manual pressure gauge.

B.S. There are very few cars that have that. Some diesels do, but W's don't. I just checked my wiring diagrams for your car and it's a 1 wire switch. A tan wire. Pretty simple circuit, it goes right to your cluster.

f you remove the connector for the Oil Pressure switch, there are 3 wires, two of them are for the Fuel Pump. If the pressure is low, or the switch is bad, then the fuel pump won't run. You'll need to short the connector in order to test it with a manual pressure gauge.

B.S. There are very few cars that have that. Some diesels do, but W's don't. I just checked my wiring diagrams for your car and it's a 1 wire switch. A tan wire. Pretty simple circuit, it goes right to your cluster.

Unplug the oil pressure switch on your Z and see if it runs. When I unhooked mine to see of oil was pushing through it, it wouldn't start. I also have wiring diagrams that backup my statement.