What is this NOISE!!???

gmrulz4u

I have a fairly noticable "HuMMMMMMMMMMMM" sound coming from the front drivers-side area of my 89 Supreme. It is silent when at a Stop, but is constant while moving forward at ANY speed.

I've got 2 clues. First, when I'm braking and coming to a Stop, the "HuMMMM" seems to get louder and turns into a kind of grinding noise. Secondly, and most strange, is if I am driving lets say, 30 mph, going straight, and if I hold my steering wheel slightly to the right, the noise will go almost completely away. But of course I can't just hold it to the right all the time or I will veer off the road.

So obviously when I turn my wheels away from where the noise is originating, it almost goes away...but I have no idea what it is...

Maybe it's a slightly sticking brake caliper or something!? I don't know, I'm at a loss...

Anyone??

THANKS!:)

Could also just be your tires. I know in my car....on exit ramps...ive got this really wieird hum. Check the wear on your tires...you might need to rotate...see if that does anything. Our truck (2003 Durango) does the same thing....thats caus of the tires.

My brakes are really loud. I barley have any pads. It could be a stuck caliper, but i have never had one...so i cant tell you what it would feel/sound like.

Im just thinking...as the tires slow down...they may also make a different noise. I have noticed this too.

jon

It's definitely the wheel bearings. Mine did the EXACT same thing when they were about to go. I left mine so long that it was almost too loud to even have a conversation in the car! When my mechanic replaced it for me he even kept the old one to show the guys at his shop cuase it was so fooked. Anyways, I'm putting my money on the wheel bearing!

I've got a similar problem. When I'm travelling at highway speeds I get a high pitched humming sound that goes away if I point the wheel slightly to the left. Same thing?

Try giving your brakes a hard stomp when nobody's behind you.. I did that fooling around last week while my wheel was doing the same thing. It turned out it was the wear plate on the brakes, and after I stomped on them it stopped.

I remember reading something afterwards saying that if you're light on your brakes for a long time they won't adjust properly when the pads wear down, and that if you're usually light on your brakes you just give them a good stomp every few k miles or so to get them to adjust right.

When you're driving crank the wheel back and forth to shift the weight from one side of the car to the other. If you hear the noise get loud when the car dives to one side it's the wheel bearings.

When you're driving crank the wheel back and forth to shift the weight from one side of the car to the other. If you hear the noise get loud when the car dives to one side it's the wheel bearings.

what he said.

I am going to jump on the tire ship. My car does the same. I thought it was a wheel bearing, or a tierod, or control arm, I checked anything, it started after I got a new set fo tires...so thats the only possible thing.

If you've got any kind of wheel shimmy (wheel jerking at all) check your lugnuts. I managed to break 3 of my wheel studs off the passenger front when I neglected to tighten them properly. The steering wheel was jerking back and forth, and just like you said, around turns it was fine, but when going straight ahead, the wheel would jerk and finally the passenger front wheel just came off.

You might also check your calipers, pads and rotors. If your rotors are wearing, or your pads, or anything, they would grind. I'm a poster boy for neglegence on a braking system. I've managed to fuck up rotors, calipers, etc. I let my pads go for too long, and when I decided to change them, it was too late. I believe I was delivering pizza, just getting back into my car. I backed up, and hit the brakes, and I hear this loud THUNK from my right front, and feel the brake pedal go down to the floor. Wonderful.

I get out and do a visual inspection. Nothing. I get back in, and figure it's broke anyways, and start to pull forward. I hit the gas and it says "Nope". I push more, and it goes nowhere. So I reverse again, and hear another THUNK, and I move a little. I throw it back into drive, and it still ain't moving. By this time I'm pissed, I get out and look again, then get back in, sit down, throw it into drive, and slam on the gas. My right front is spinning, my left front is stationary, then I hear a LOUD THUD and I start moving again. I get to the end of the alley I was in and try to brake and the pedal once again floors and I've got absolutely nothing but the slightest amount of brake pressure.

Turns out the pad was so worn down that the metal backing finally made contact with the rotor, which was ground down as well, caught something and pulled the pad forward, which in turn pulled the caliper piston and wedged it between the caliper, pad and eventually the rotor. :shock:

See, learning things the hard way may be stupid, but I know exactly what to listen, look for, and do in these kinds of situations. It also makes for a really funny story other people get to laugh at.