changing my 88 to 92

NORBI

My friend just bought 01 Aurora just like my only a V6 because his 92 CS Int gave up because engine and trans couldnt handle the driver so i am getting the car just to part it out. The thing is fully loaded with HUD, sunroof, leather every option you could get in those cars back then even 3.4DOHC. So i am taking everything from his car to my so my 88 will look exacly like a 92 International inside and outside except for the 3.4DOHC which is crap now but anyway i have a 3.1 now from a 1993 Lumina in it so its much faster then my old 2.8.

Wouldn't it be easier to just put an engine in the 92?

Installing a good used engine would even cost less than painting those pieces for your 88. Not to mention less labor. Besides, your 88 doesn't have sunroof or leather, does it?

Shawn does have a good point in saying that it'd probably be easier just to sawp out the engine and tranny. I know if I was in that the same situation as yourself, I would just do the engine/tranny sawp, and not even bother with all of the small things...

thats an idea too...find another extra engine. But...if you are willing to let go of the 88....take the engine out and put it in the 92. Then part out your 88, or just find another engine!

jon

Swapping fascias and fenders, hood, lights are relatively easy, but be prepared to spend hours upon hours of getting the side body pieces mounted and lined up correctly. You'll also have to drill about 24 holes in the sheetmetal and you'd better hope they're all accurate...wait, more like 40+ holes for screws because you have to install the top clips in different spots than the base model locations, which also means you have to chop off every factory rivet on your '88. It's a real bitch, been there, done that. And NO double sided tape doesn't work (tried that as well for a few days)

And then comes the paint job....

Gotta agree, throw a pushrod engine in there or whatever you could find reasonably and go with it. The tranny may just need a fluid and filter change and an adjustable modulator

That 92 car was really abused and almost all mechanical parts are falling apart and i have a sentimental attachment to my 88 CS and wouldnt trade that thing for anything else but that 92 i will part it out from bumpers, seats, carpet etc and then throw the body on a junk yard with the engine. I will be happier to see my old 88 looking different then fixing that 92 up. If anybody would be interested whats left of the car with engine and trans let me know.

I may be interested in the center console insert with the gear indicator, or the steering column. OH and the front door panels if decent. Also curious about the condition of the wheels. Let me know.