TGP mentioned in April 2004 Road & Track

Mike J.

I was reading my current April 04 edition and on page 29 under "Years Ago" under the 15 years ago section the following was written:

Our road test proved the PONTIAC McLAREN TURBO GRAND PRIX was a far cry from its poor-handling 1960s' and '70s' name-sakes. The new car showed "FEROCITY AND VELOCITY," going zero to 60 in 7 seconds flat and reaching a top speed of 128 mph. Most of its handling components had been improved, and only the brakes were a problem, with ROUGH ABS PULSES. Accommodations included full instrumentation and even a trip computer. We called the redesigned Grand Prix " A MUSCLE CAR WITH MANNERS."

Its nice to see they didn't forget about us. :D

Thanks to the web, more people know about them than I would have expected.

There were some people talking about TGP's on a local automotive message board. I was pleasantly surprised.

Guest Anonymous
Truthfully, I didn't know about the TGP until i hit the web looking for info on the GP's.

Same here. This is the first place I found and I haven't looked back.

Yep, this was the first place i found too, well, not the message board, but w-body.com. The site gave me pretty damn good info, then i saw the message board. Like turby said, i haven't turned back since.

I bought my first of 3 TGP's in April 1990 with 399 miles on the odometer, $24,366out the door, with a sigh of relief from the salesman when I finally got the financing together. Last one on the lot (don't know how many they had to begin with). Sold due to illness and lack of funds in 1994 for around $9,500 pocketing a cool $3,000 :D . Bought my second in 1996 for a little over $5,000 and only kept it for about 18 months. Sold for about the same after about $2,000 in typical TGP problem maintenance. :roll: Bought my current TGP (72,000 on the odometer) for $3,800 one year ago Saturday. Rebuilt the engine once $600; new Jeff M. crossover $425; various new sensors and all new vacuum lines $275; ceramic coated components $450; gaskets $175; 3 new injectors $240; misc. $300. I figure I'm about half way to maing this thing brand new again so sometime next winter/maintenance season I figure I'll have at least $8,000 in it and I'll be able to sell it for $3,000 for a $5,000 cash loss and about a 300 hour in sweat/cursing/knuckle bleading equity loss!!!! :cry: :cry: NAH, I'll never sell my baby, good to see that they have a passion for obscure history at one of the auto magazines. :cheers: :D :D Dale --- Omaha, Nebraska

I didn't know anything about TGP's until after we got our 2 door. Then I started researching them and learned quite a bit. We had the car home before we had any idea how rare it was. It was the next day that we found out it was rare.

I'm glad we just happend to find the steal on ebay, or we wouldn't have two wonderful TGP's right now.

Shawn

Isn't it an awesome feeling when some wierdo rare car you have gets recognized in a major publication? :D A couple summers ago, Collectible Automobile had in article in their "Cheap Wheels" section about the AWD 6000s. After assuring people it wasn't a typo, they said a good condition one should be about $6k. :shock: Sounds a bit on the high end to me (and to Kelly Blue Book), but I'm not complaining. 8)

It appears to have sparked some interest as one AWD STE went for $5,500 on eBay last summer, and parts are getting bid up all of a sudden. I can't get an accessory kit for the trunk any more for under $80, and what about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=34232&item=2462633763&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT (Good thing I bought one a few years ago. This is the only other one I've seen since)

The TGPs/TSTEs are performance oriented rarities, so I'd expect some demand for them. But I never predicted the AWD 6000s would be catching on like this. It's nice to see, until I actually need to buy something. Double edged sword. D'oh! Oh well, I can learn to live with it as long as people who actualy want, and will care for, the cars are buying them.