What Front Springs should I get for my GP.

AWeb80

alright......I'm gonna want straight answers though.....no bs from people.....no stupid discusion like what usually goes on

THIS IS FOR THE FRONT SPRINGS

I've heard of ST springs and Intrax.

What is the differece between them.....and what is the best.

I'll get the KYB GR2's to replace my stock struts, but will a lowering spring compress he strut too much and wear it out faster?

Are there any writeups on how to change out the stock ones and put in the new ones?

Intrax = 1.8" drop.

ST = 1.25" drop.

If money is no object, I'd get Intrax for the greater drop. I could have afforded them, but I just couldn't justify spending more than 2x as much for 1/2" additional drop and 2 extra springs that will sit around on the garage floor collecting cobwebs.

From what I know about riding in KickinZ's car, the ST springs ride well. I didn't even realize he had ST springs until I noticed his car was lowered, and that was after I'd been riding in it for an hour or so.

I put them in my car and took plenty of pics, but don't have a writeup. I haven't put the car completely back together yet so I haven't driven it, but my initial drop was only 1/4". I've heard that's normal and it should eventually settle another 3/4 to 1". My 2.8 engine is also much lighter than a 3.4 which might have something to do with it.

DykZ34 has a writeup with pics http://www.dykz34.com/

As far as the struts, shouldn't be a problem.

I'd go for the ST springs. Just make sure you replace your struts, otherwise you'll end up with a pogostick on 4 wheels (like my Lumina was). :roll:

Where do I get the ST springs from?......and where can I get the KYB GR2's from.

Does anyone have any detailed info....I looked at dykz's page and printed it off.

Do i take the wieght off the front end with jacks.....and so forth.

Springs you get from JC Whitney.

$94 shipped, or around that.

No, you don't take the weight off the front. Just jack it up and support the car by the subframe with jackstands. You will be pulling the entire spring/strut/knuckle assemblies off. You'll need to use screw-type tierod and balljoint pullers unless you plan to replace them. A pickle fork will damage them. You'll also need a hub puller, I also got that from JC Whitney.

I'll write something up while it's still fresh in my mind.

I can't believe that no one has recomended that you also use spring compressors to remove the old springs. Even with the Strut assembly removed, and the strut fully extended, there is still quite a bit of spring froce still on the bearing plate. A wall mounted spring compressor is best, but if you don't have access to one, then some cheapo ones that you can get at most parts stores will do the trick. This will save you from possiblely fucking up the top threads on your sturt (very important if you plan on using the old struts), and not the mention injuring yourself if there happens to be excesse spring force causeing the spring to smack you "squaw in da NUTS!" :shock: . You can tell dykz34 didn't use any, becuase when it came to the part about disassembly of the sturts all he said about it was, "Easier said than done", like it was some huge pain in the ass or something, and that is exactly what it will be if you don't have spring compressors. They are really inexspenive at a parts store, and I'm sure the dude there would be able to explaine to you how they work. I'm installing new Eibach springs on my Olds Intrige tomorrow, and I wouldn't even fucking attempt it without spring compressors.

Oh, and one more thing make sure you get the car aligned after the installation. Taking out a strut fucks the alignment up enough, not to mention lowering it :D Good Luck with the project!

Yes, spring compressors, I forgot about them.

They are the scariest part of the whole job, not scary to use, but just the possibility of "what if one broke?" It wouldn't surprise me if a compressed spring has the power to decapitate!!!

Anyway, you do need a spring compressor to pull the spring and install the new one, and I'd also recommend an impact wrench. Even a $20 12v cheapie from Harbor Freight will do.

Hey Shawn,

I couldn't seem to find the ST springs on JC whitney. do you happen to have a link or part # to them? Thanks!

Did you look for 95-99 Monte Carlo Springs? Thats where Im pretty sure they are listed

Hey Shawn,

I couldn't seem to find the ST springs on JC whitney. do you happen to have a link or part # to them? Thanks!

Click here!!!!!!

As for 90TGP, 1.75'' drop on the TGP, how do you drive it now? :wink: My TGP sits low in stock form, when I drive it now, I have to avoid going to certain places around town in order to keep the front valence intact.

What the hell. I did too use spring compressors. Read my page again. :roll: It's listed under the "Tools needed" heading. I only say "easier said than done" because I never really finished that page. And quite honestly, I don't care to. :lol:

Hey Shawn,

Click here!!!!!!

As for 90TGP, 1.75'' drop on the TGP, how do you drive it now? :wink: My TGP sits low in stock form, when I drive it now, I have to avoid going to certain places around town in order to keep the front valence intact.

Thanks matt for the link!!

Well sorry dykz34, I admit I didn't go to indepth into our page. I was just using that as an example that it woud be a pain in the ass without spring comressors. :D