CD Player question

Cartracer

my cd player isnt working and whenever i put a cd in it doesnt play, just acts liek it is going to put doesnt play. i just have a factory one and was wondering if anyone knew what the problem is. also, i was wondering if i put a new deck in, would the controls for the stereo still work on steering wheel or not? :?

my cd player isnt working and whenever i put a cd in it doesnt play, just acts liek it is going to put doesnt play. i just have a factory one and was wondering if anyone knew what the problem is. also, i was wondering if i put a new deck in, would the controls for the stereo still work on steering wheel or not? :?

problem = broken cd player

solution = buy new one

Controls won't work with aftermarket deck, unless the deck is remote control ready and you by a $70 hook up....

Failed CD mechanism, it can be replaced, but look to spend $100-150 to fix it yourself.

You can get a steering wheel interface for around $50 (Clubgp.com store), I've got one in the TGP and it works great.

The steering wheel interface is ~$50 at buy.com, think it's called an SWI-X, but you have to have a place to mount the IR transmitter. Only a real problem in cars with a bench seat (like mine :) ) Took me about 20 minutes to hook in and program, little longer to work out a mounting location.

ok, so since my cd player doesnt work, if i get an aftermarket one, will my cd player work or do i need some wiring devices?

I new cd deck will work perfectly, a failed cd mech. has nothing to do with the wiring to install a new deck......take it to best buy or your local stereo shop, not to be rude, but you obviously don't know enough about it to install it and would probably damage the new deck during the install.....

ok, so since my cd player doesnt work, if i get an aftermarket one, will my cd player work or do i need some wiring devices?

If you buy an aftermarket Cd player, you will need a harness and installation kit (mounting brackets and hardware). Also it will need to be a remote control model for the steering wheel interface to work, since it needs a remote eye.

If you want to keep your current cd player I would get it fixed, replacing oem

cd players is fairly expensive $250-350. Aftermarket decks like the ones at Circuit City and Best Buy, are cheaper, sound better and last longer.

go to carstereohelp.com and they have quotes to repair your CD player. you mioght also find it cheaper to get one form a junk yard so try car-part.com and theyll give you junko yard listings for the factory cd player. So far ive kept mine factory cause i didnt have the nerve to try the steering wheel interface. but an aftermarket one will probably have better sound

Don't give up on your stocker yet. I had similar problems with mine, so I bought a cleaner disk, and it made it a lot better. It still doesn't work right all of the time, but when it gets really bad, I just clean it again, and it works for awhile.

• 1 month later...

Ok, my problem is not exactly the same, but maybe some help...I can insert cd and play it fine. All steering wheel controls work (factory system that I just bought off ebay) and I can switch between Tape/CD/AMFM without problem. I can cut off the key and turn it back on and it works fine. Problem is if I leave the car for a while and then turn it on, the CD on the LCD disappears and I cannot play the cd. If I push eject, it makes noises like it is going to eject for about 10 seconds, then I get error code E22. I have looked in manual and get a few codes for the tape player, but none listed for CD player. If I leave it for a while again, it will eject the cd fine. The Cass portion works fine and the radio functions normally, I just cannot figure out why it loses the CD like that. I can turn the car on and off many times and it is still working, come back later and start car...no cd showing and it won't eject. HELP!!!!! I will try the cleaner when I get home tonight. Thanks in advance.

Thomas

The steering wheel interface is ~$50 at buy.com, think it's called an SWI-X, but you have to have a place to mount the IR transmitter. Only a real problem in cars with a bench seat (like mine :) ) Took me about 20 minutes to hook in and program, little longer to work out a mounting location.

I bought the SoundGate Remote 1.5V4 for my Regal. Simple 3 wire hookup at the stereo's harness (switched 12V, ground, and the last wire taps into the data wire.) All you have to do to program it is set some DIP switches inside the box (after that, you never have to reprogram it after you disconnect the battery.) You don't have to mount the IR away from the deck, just mount it directly under the radio. The beams bounce off of the back seat (try holding your regular remote under the stereo with the IR trans. pointing towards the back and press the buttons--it will work.) I have the IR poking up from the bottom of the dash trim at the moment and it works beautifully...

I bought mine from Logjam Electronics. Yeah, I know it costs more than the PAC, but I'll never have to reprogram it ever, plus it took less than 10 minutes to install.

sweet...this thread is what i've been wondering about for a while...i was worried about switching cd players and losing the steering wheel controls

that is what we're talking about right?