new subs

ShockTherapy

i just got 2 10" MTX Thunder6000's in a sealed box in trade for my old PS2 that didnt load half of my old games correctly, they are in good shape, and the only reason ryan wanted them gone is that someone stole the amp for them, they sounded hardcore back in the day though...

what do you guys think, good deal, of no ?

also, they take like, 325W Peak, 175 RMS, can anyone reccommend an amp that'd be good for these ?

Are these SVC or DVC??? i hope those arent the single 12 ohm subs.......but if im not mistaken those were only sold in sets of three......but yea if you tell if they are SVC or DVC it will be alot easier to reccomend an amp........what are you trying to spend on an amp?

ok, i got all done bieng lazy,

MTX Thunder4000's

SVC

50-200 RMS

400 peak

4 ohm

and an amp just turned up,

sony Xplod, 800W (400x2) Bridged and a sosche 4 GA. wiring kit, both for $120 from Josh, (nitefall)

and funcoland only wanted to give me like $50 for my PS2

so for $170, i get a whole system, i think it's good.

:shock: BLUETHUNDERS are Legonds!!! you got a GREAT TRADE!!! if they are in decent condition they will serve you well.. dont be affraid to get an amp with 100watts more power then what they are rated for. just dont distort them and they will blow your mind for 10s!

MTX makes some respectable equipment... hell, for a while i had some $35 MTX Road Thunder (bottom of the line MTX) 12's and was pushing almost 1400 watts (and yes, that RMS) on a 1 ohm load (resistors) out of an Xtant 1001M amp... they lasted a good 2 weeks which really surprised me. I figured they would last a day or 2 at best.

As far as a decent amp to push them with... i would stay away from the sony XPlode amps... i have been through a total of 13 of them (thank god for the Best Buy Replacement Plan, best $14 (employee discount) i ever spent) in the time period of about a month and a half... Many subs went with these amps as well. The problem with them is there overload protection circuits are terrible. if you lock up a subs like i do (pushing them way too hard) and short the voice coil, say buh-bye to your sony amp.

Rockford fosgate amps are acutally fairly decent amps. i have a RF 800A2 amp that i have had forever that is just awesome.

also have a pile of dead sony amps in my garage...

But my best choice, BY FAR, would be Xtant. They are probly the most expensive, but WELL WELL worth the money. I used to compete and i had a trio of Xtant 121a 12 inch subs in an shared 7.1 cu. ft. box and an Xtant 125M 125 watt RMS Monoblock Class D amp and was running a half ohm load and hit 154.37 dB with it. amp retail was about $325 and the subs were about a $130 each. God Damn did that system slam though.

so i hope that my totally random rambling will help ya out.

a suggestion though, when running your wires... run your RCA wires down the pasenger and Power down the driver side to avoid electromagnetic interference (engine whine). Oh, AND take the time to run your wires through the fireway and not the door, i have seen too many cars go up in flames when someone closes the door and shorts the wires.

and make sure to fuse your wire no farther then 18 inches fomr the battery itself.

- Justin

how do feel about the kenwood 800 watt amp? Has anyone ever used them? what do you think? Do they last long? See right now i have 2 10" Rockford subs, 400 watt max, 3812 i believe the stock number is, and then the kenwood 800 watt amp. They sound real good, and i don't push them too hard, but what i am asking is that a good combo? Any input on them would be great so i know what i have to look forward too. Thanks

It should drive them...

What is that, like 400w bridged 4ohms RMS ??

exactly, but 400 max, like... 250 RMS and thanks for all the input guys, turns out he also has a 600W kenwood, actually made for 300X2, so it wont need bridging, so do i go witht he 800, and have a matching system, or get the kenwood, cause apparrently these sony's are so f'n unreliable ?

I have a kenwood 600w pushing 4 10inch kicker impulses sounds great, but could sound a lot better with a decent head unit i have a shitty one I bought off the streets for $10, volume only goes up to thirty, how sad huh :cry:

good trades do come along maybe you might trade them for something better

i traded my Kicker freeair 12's for a set of Kicker CVR 15's just because they would not fit in this guys car

ive got CVR 15 2 ohm and a PPI 1400 powered buy a panasonic head

but the rest of my stuff sucks not much mids and highs

after i get the wiring kit in, i can switch out the amps, and i'll see which sounds better, the 800W xplod or the 600W Kenwood...

and for verification, they're Thunder 4000's, released like 1 1/2 years ago, not the old school blue thunders, although my buddy jonathan has 2 12" versions of those, they own.

thx for all the help.

You should consider a Directed Audio Class-D amp. They're the best deal for price/performance/quality that you can get right know IMO. They sound AMAZING and you can get them fairly cheap new, and dirt cheap used.

Here's a LINK to a review for their 1100d amp. THE 650d should be good enough, but I couldn't find a review for it.

damn, i like that one, alot.

but i'm gonna be rockin either the K-wood or the Sony for $100 for right now... mainly cause i'm broke.