power antena question

godofthunder

ok...just put the new one in.

I had to take it apart, and ended up taking the whole ting apart, including the small motor on the top.

while everything works now, it seems like there is a short somewhere. If i plug the antena in, or the little metal ribbon, the motor starts running like a banchee.

And ideas?

jon

Guest TurboSedan
Is that the little connector in there? What do I clean it with?

there is some stuff that CRC makes called QD Electrical Contact Cleaner (QD=Quick Dry) - that stuff works great for cleaning electrical connectors. i've used it to clean various connectors on the engine wiring harness, my turn signal switch etc. just make sure it dries before plugging it back in. you should be able to find the stuff at Checker right by where all of the Brakleen and other fluids are.

joshua

i had to take mine apart since there was like a 6" piece broken off. Kinda wish i didnt now...

If i have anything connected....the ground wire, or the antena wire...the motor goes crazy. Non stop. Without anything....its fine. I have the little point of the anteana wire in a screw hole on the antena...and its getting recepton, and working fine...but kinda scary.

I think its one of the little copper wires in the electric motor touching the side of the motor. Im going to my dads shop friday, and were going to look at it to see what i can do. Im sure its just cleaning and rebuilding that motor a bit better.

PS - it was hard as hell taking the right plastic cover off. I didnt even know how to do with without ruining the little plasitic rivits.

jon

Yeah it looks the same as the one from the link i posted. The motor goes up and down, but when going up it will not stop and blows a fuse. Can't figure out what is wrong. Seems to fit in there just fine.

see if the relay is kicking in and out you might need someone to help you do that turn on and off the key and hold on to the relay you sould feel or hear it snap in and out < power up and off>