power antena question

godofthunder

ok, think mine died today.

Its stuck up, really. It actuually doesnt look 100% straight either. But...you hear the moter go up/down....but the antena just sits there. It also looks ALOT more worn down (paint, etc).

What can I do? I take that its broken.

Looking anyhwhere, and talking to people....they are like $80. Im not spending that muich money on one. Can i just convert to a plain antenna? And do i need to get a specific one, or just a universal one will do?

Id go to the j/y....but IIRC...i dont really ever see any of them down there.

jon

it's possible, you just need the ground and signal wires, and the mounting Hardware for a Fixed mast, then just cap off all the power wires.

but you can power antenna units units for 40 bucks online, mine was 45 from best buy, had them do it when i got my cd changer put in.

mast and cable? My dad said that a norlmal one should run arround that.

How do you rebuild it?

Where did you find them for 40 online? Ill have to check my best buy to see if they have any. I stilll dont like the idea of spending 40 right now on one either....i may just put on a cheapo one now....and possibly go back to power eventually

jon

Yeah, you probably just need a new mast, but since it's stuck up, rather than converting to manual, why don't you just unplug it?

Helluva lot easier!!!

BTW, you can verify the mast by seeing if it can move up and down any at all. A good mast will have no play.

Yeah, is that new mast/cable all i need? I saw one today at Advance...but not for GM.

Yeah, would be a lot easier. But now, seeing that it may only be 20 to fix....id like to keep it hidden. IF i didnt...i dont like the current one. Half the paints gone, looks lightly bent, etc.

The mast really wont move actuallly. If you push it down, i think the farthest it goes in is about an inch...and thats just the parts sliding arround

Would this mean thats all i need, rather than a new motor and all? They had that too...only 40

jon

I did mine, wasn't hard. You only have to take out whole assembly if chunks of the old mast were broken in there. The directions will tell you how to do it. I had to take mine out cause it was broken. There are a couple electrical connections and a few nuts but that is it. The one in that auction is the one you need.

Yeah it looks the same as the one from the link i posted. The motor goes up and down, but when going up it will not stop and blows a fuse. Can't figure out what is wrong. Seems to fit in there just fine.

What?!

Great. You shoulda told me yours didnt work right before I got that one!

Mines black, i guess. ITs more silver right now...with black dots.

What do you mean it "says yours is black".

I bought the one listed in the auction above. He said it fit the car there...so id guess its right, would hope so.

Id say the same that it sounds like its the unit if its not stoping.

So..when you say yours is broken...what is it actualy doing/not doing?

Jon

he also said it was shiped today....so i will just have to wait and see what happens. ITs odd though...b/c the one listed at Advance for my car was also chrome.

jon

he also said it was shiped today....so i will just have to wait and see what happens. ITs odd though...b/c the one listed at Advance for my car was also chrome.

It's aftermarket so it could be chrome and still be the right one.

got an email back from the guy.

he said that the black and chrome he have in stock are identical. Even in size. They are made by a company calld Metra (who is the same company I as refered to at Advance today).

Hes going to come by and check out the place...needs a few testers too (hes in NJ). He said If i really wanted a black one, I could send him $2, and he would send the black one when i send the chrome back.

While i would like black (matches better)....i think ill just stick with chomre.

He also said 100s of sales like that...and no probs yet.

21.95 for chrome, shiped

23.95 black shiped.

jon