an odd one... electrical problem

92turboLE

Ok, so this just started recently (within the last month)

when accelerating, my car starts to sputter out. started only when RPMs reached 4K or higher... the power would just cut in and out completely. Then it started getting worse. Now its doing it right when i leave the line (not racing, just acceling from a stop)

the other thing that really confused me... occasionally it would just shut off. I would loose ALL electrical power, EXCEPT my dash lights. headlights, radio, gauges, EVERYTHING except my dash lights. It would sit there dead for a few minutes then everything would just come back on.

all my wiring to the battery is fine. disconnected all stereo equipment, still didnt help.

possible plug wires going bad??? i was told that if the plug wires go bad and arc to the block, they can cause a lot of feedback and shut down or burn up an ECU.

the other reason i think it might be plug wires is that when im driving and it cuts in and out, the car backfires REALLY bad.

any ideas would be great and thanks in advance for the help.

- Justin

hmm could be the wires. My car does the same, when i step on the gas, the engine rpms drop, then kick back on and drop again pretty fast until i ease up so i can get power again. My car put out a code though, quad drive A and quad driver B, along with a coolant temp sensor code. I talked to my old auto teacher, and he said the quad drivers control the fuel injection or something like that on the computer. If they get messed up readings, they will cut fuel, and he said that the coolant temp sensor could be sending a wrong reading to the computers causing my car to act up like that. Something to look into, but if you dont have SES light, or i dunno if you have quad driver either cuz my car is a 94 with OBD1.5.

I don't know about the electrical problem...but my Oldsmobile 88 (don't have a clue if it's the same type of engine series as these cars) used to do the accelerating thing all the time...where it would just cut out (especially if floored)

took it to 3 mechanics and none of them ever fixed the problem...I just learned to be feathery light to the gas.

yeah, im not getting any engine codes and nothing is stored in ECU memory for codes... acts like something is shorting...

even ask RedFox (i he is still around) he was there the first time thi happened and he was just as dumbfounded as i was.

im gonna try and do plugs and wires this weekend. anyone know anything about cutting plug wires.. my bro has like 3 sets of the universal wires that he got from the dealership he worked at.

- Justin

Your diagnosis about the spark plug wire is logical. We just have similar issues with a truck where it surges above 40MPH and we found out that the spark plug wires was laying on the exhaust manifold. It was scraped and exposed. Told them to replace the spark plug wires when they have chance. For now, we just moved the spark plug wires away from metal and separated the spark plug wires from each other.

So, check your spark plug wires first.

You might want to check and tighten the remote positive terminal near the fuel pump relay as it may be loose. It just a nut and it can be tightened.

yeah, i checked all that. I even completely rewired the positive battery setup (put battery in back for possible future install of some sort of true cold air system)

- Justin

Hey, my teacher also said, that if it wasnt the coolant temp sensor on my car causing the quad driver to act up, it could be the ecm going dead. And, maybe if the ecm is going dead, it might not send a code. I dunno what else to say besides replace the plug wires.

does your car have a good converter on it sometimes they are forgotten

in the 80-s chevy had bad converters from what i have seen but wires sound better my car does about the same thing at below 3000 rpm if i give it full throttle it acts like its fouling out if i let up off the gas it pucks up real strong ive replaced everything on the car but the ecm thats next