Needing new tires - once again considering selling

grandprix104

Well the GP needs new tires the front two are about to start showing the tread bars and one of the rears is fudged the other is new. What i am probably going to do is move the fronts to the rear (i know i'm a cheap ass) and put two new goodyears on the front. I am looking for a good dry/rain traction tire that will also hold up with moderate snow. Im looking at a piar of goodyear "Vivas" although id prefer michelins but i have absolutely no $$ so im going as cheap as possible. So do you guys have any reccomendations on tires for 205/70/15? I also may end up selling my baby for a new Monte or Grand Prix GT or may purchace some stock alloy rims off a newer pontiac and buy all new rubber for them.

For those of you interested my car is for sale for $3500 to the right person. She runs beautifully, has no more leaks, rebuilt tranny with 25,000 miles on it, the interior is in good shape (not fantastic but much better than most this age). She was in a small fender bender but there was no frame damage and all affected panels have been replaced, there are a few small hail dents and a scratch on the rear passenger door but nothing majorly wrong with it, and finally it will probably need a new catalytic convertor and muffler but it runs great right now. BTW the engine has 133,000 on the clock with mostly valvoline oil changes strictly every 3000 miles.

dont mean to be rude...but i dont think your going to get 3500 for it. My car is newer, has less miles, and no probs, and i still couldnt get that much!

jon

not to mention that it is a cutty....

dont mean to be rude...but i dont think your going to get 3500 for it. My car is newer, has less miles, and no probs, and i still couldnt get that much!

My 94 convertible w/112,000 on it at the time was $3000 a year and a half ago. It's got the 3.4, leather, etc. I don't even feel like I got a real bargain or anything.

I'm all for people trying to get more for their W-bodies than they're worth though! That can only be good for our resale value. :)

What did I miss. :roll: You can't afford 2 new tires but you can afford a new car. Get the new car.

in other words ive spent over $700 on this car since the beginning of the year, $2000 last year, and $4800 to buy it two years ago. I dont have the money for a new car and i dont have money for this one but if i have to spend the money id rather spend it on something that doesnt require me to be fixing the damn thing it the cold and snow. As far as the price I have to sell it for that much to finish paying off what I owe and have some sort of downpayment on another car. Regaurdless it probably wont sell soon and I dont plan on it. I was just hoping that someone that needs a good car on this forum might be interested in a decent car that has been well taken care of. I have already replaced almost everything that will ever need to be replaced on the motor.

what you mean about the cutty...that they go more than GPs?

typically they do...

I would have to agree. Since i've been shopping around for the past few weeks, i've seen cutty's that have the same options as a gp and still go for more than the gp went for.

as far as tires go - walmart was able to repair my leaking tire so it will hold up for a little longer. What i *want* is to get some stock pontiac 16" rims and new rubber all around. In that case do any of you reccomend any specific tires?

jon

Well Blue book retail value for my car is $4335 while private party starts at $2350. So i think i should be able to find a buyer at around that price.

jon

Well Blue book retail value for my car is $4335 while private party starts at $2350. So i think i should be able to find a buyer at around that price.

IMHO, I think that $2000-2500 is a more realistic price....when I looked it up on KBB, private party in excellent shape was still only $2350 or so

yeah, round the 2000.

Retail means how much you would take it up the bum at a dealership. Not how much someone sells it on the street. Then again, i feel thats off, its hard to find a dealership that will take a car in that millage. My CS had a 6k retail now, i think, and 3700 something according to kbb. I wanst able to even get 3500.

the idea sounds good and all...selling it, paying off loans, and a down payment, but then you have to loook...who wants to pay 4k for a car with that many miles, not in perfect condition? If someone on here bought it, they know its not valued that high.

My car has been perfectly taken care of too, no hits. Id like to have another cared for car, but im not paying 4k for a car two years, more mileage, etc.

If you got the money, id get the new car. But i rememebr reading that you lost your job. If not, id get cheap tires.

To me, id recommend saving the money. Your not going to get what you think your GP is worth. Your not going to get the money back that you have put in it.

If the car is in good running condition, and just needs tires...get them. Dont get new rims now. While a new car would be nice, its not worth the $$.

Trust me, I was in the same possition, just a few months ago. But, I wasnt that hard off for money either, I prob have enough to buy a new car now. I was just thinking more finnancially...it doesnt make sense to throw it off if its working fine, and you dont have as much money as you want right now. More than likely, you will get something you dont like that much, or something that has more problems in the first place. Go cheaper now...and save.

And that kids, is how im buying a regal in a few months! AND KEEPING THE CS!

sorry if it doesnt make sense...but think about it. I hope I at least got a point accross.

as far as tires...dont get anything fancy. Id stay away from Goodyear too. No michellans either. In all seriousness...just get some from price club or something now if you are hard for money. More important to be safe (with new tires) than broke and performance tires to me.

Edmunds is what I always use to buy a car. It's what I used to buy my truck at trade-in value, and what I used to bargain with on my convertible (got it for in between dealer retail and private party). Edmund's is not nearly as nice as KBB!!!

1994 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr SE Sedan

Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail

National Base Price $1,058 $1,653 $2,644

Optional Equipment $183 $263 $447

Premium Audio System $8 $12 $20

Aluminum/Alloy Wheels $17 $25 $42

Sport Suspension $9 $12 $21

Keyless Entry System $10 $14 $24

Antilock Brakes $50 $72 $122

Power Mirrors $11 $16 $27

Power Driver Seat $18 $26 $44

Bucket Seats $10 $14 $24

Rear Window Defroster $11 $16 $27

Cruise Control $15 $21 $36

Remote Trunk Release $8 $11 $19

AM/FM/CD Audio System $16 $24 $41

Color Adjustment

Red $7 $10 $16

Regional Adjustment

for Zip Code 65619 $11 $17 $27

Mileage Adjustment

133,000 miles $-515 $-515 $-515

Condition Adjustment

Clean $0 $0 $0

Total $744 $1,428 $2,619

The formatting didn't come out too well, but that's $744 trade-in, $1428 private party and $2619 dealer retail. I added in lots of optional equipment too, and chose Clean (better than Average) condition.

well ill just say this. a few months ago I almost bought a '01 GP GT with 53,000 on it. The dealer offered me a solid $2000 trade in value on my car. This being the case i figured i could easily get $3000 maybe $3500 but that is yet to be seen. After some consideration I probably wont be selling soon (if somebody wants it lets deal) I will most likely just keep it and get new tires all around - IF SOMEBODY KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET A SET OF 16" PONTAIC 5-SPOKE WHEELS for around $200-250 Please let me know! And once again does anyone have a reccommendation on 205/70/15 tires or a good 16 inch tire that will fit an OEM rim?

Thanks Guys

well ill just say this. a few months ago I almost bought a '01 GP GT with 53,000 on it. The dealer offered me a solid $2000 trade in value on my car. This being the case i figured i could easily get $3000 maybe $3500 but that is yet to be seen. After some consideration I probably wont be selling soon (if somebody wants it lets deal) I will most likely just keep it and get new tires all around - IF SOMEBODY KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET A SET OF 16" PONTAIC 5-SPOKE WHEELS for around $200-250 Please let me know! And once again does anyone have a reccommendation on 205/70/15 tires or a good 16 inch tire that will fit an OEM rim?

Thanks Guys

I DO!!!! I hope maybe.. my buddy had a 94 Pontiac grand am with 16 inch rims i think? it was a 5speed quad 4..

does anyone now if thats the same bolt pattern?

Thanks Guys

I DO!!!! I hope maybe.. my buddy had a 94 Pontiac grand am with 16 inch rims i think? it was a 5speed quad 4..

does anyone now if thats the same bolt pattern?

GA's had 5x100 lug patterns until they went to the widetrack GA, so those '94 rims won't work...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll look around for you on those wheels and check on the bolt pattern for you. I think Sonyman87 is right though, I think they are 5x100. I'm such a jackass too, because I used to own a Grand Am and I don't know the bolt pattern off the top of my head :lol:.

Anyway, you want them with New or Used Tires? I have a set of Used 225/60/16 Bridgestones that came on my 98 Old Intrigue. Not sure if they would fit with out rubbing though, and I can get you all sorts of new tires.

How far are you from Provo? Because If I locate your wheels, I can have them at the Les Schwab Tire Center in Provo, and you can put them on there.

If I can't find them do you want me to get a price on some 205/70/15's? Off the top of my head your probably looking at about $200-$250 for a set of 4 new with about a 50k Mileage warranty. That includes Mounting and Balancing and Utah Sales tax. Don't quote me on that though, because I'll have to check, being prices change all the time.

Let me look around for those wheels, even though I think you should go with some Chrome Plated 16's off an Olds Intrigue..... Hey, I just happen to have a set of those, I'll be willing to part with. :D

hmm... pics of those intrigue wheels? I am really short on cash but would be willing to pick em up for the right price. BTW what bolt pattern do they have 5x115?

Thanks!

ok so i had 17" bonneville wheels with 235/55/17's on them and with a 1/2" spacer and some caliper bracket clearancing they fit with no rubbing whatsoever.......... 225's shouldn't be a problem bc TGP's came with 245's

Getting a camera soon, so I'll be able to send you a pic then. They are the stock Intrigue wheels 5x115, chrome plated no blemishes that I've found, I'll have to clean them up to make sure on that one though. Until I get a camera, they look like the wheels on this Intrigue http://www.c2e.info/INTRIGUE1.html . I haven't found a place with a close up of the Intrigue wheels yet. They'll fit for sure, had a car like yours come in the other day, and I looked to see how much space is there. Its plenty to fit those. let me know what you will pay for them, and I'll see if I can swing it.

one more thing, they do have an oldsmobile emblem in the center.