Damn, I crashed my car.

avhman

Hey all,

I crashed my car the other week, Slid out on some dirt and hit on the Drivers side into a 4 foot high wall of dirt. I was going so fast that the subframe of the damn car cracked. I don't know whether it would be easier to fix it up, Sell it/part it out. Anyone got any ideas?

AVH

Ya, the body shop I took it to said it was just the subframe. Id really hate to part it out and make one less TGP, But I'll need the cash for a new ride. Just droped 2,000 in it a week before I crashed it too. :x :x

just fix the subframe... i bent my subframe from doing something similar to what you did and i got a new one from a junkyard for 75$ and put it on. I also messed up the front strut and spindle and the rest of the suspension up front on that side but its all fixed now :) Didn't even cost too much and i had a body shop do it.

I had a customer/TGP Pace Car owner come to me to get a subframe replaced, $75 also and one with only a little surface rust, just make sure to swap the sway bar over unless it's already the fat one we have! Good time to also do the rusted-to-shit subframe mounts and bolts!! I am sand blasting the one out of my TSTE, and priming then coating with truck bed liner paint, it dries to a smooth finish and keeps things protected from future rust, and allows wiping oil filter messes easy. IF, and this is the IF, the chassis where the subframe bolts to is not bent, then simple swap (just need to hold the engine/tranny up, shops have this monster tool), unhook the power steering lines that run/attach to it, few other little things to get it out for a swap, might be an ok job after all. Taking a break from a bad experience such as your accident then coming back to the car might just be the break you need to restore your determination to fix it, long as the wallet does not complain :lol: .

Jeff M

Definately get a new subframe. Where are you, I have one in RI. Otherwise, I'm sure you can find plenty at junkyards. Maybe you'll luck out at a U pull it yard and find a car with no motor/tranny which would make removal a snap, just four bolts.

Subframe is like 7 bolts on the bottom. I believe on the TGP theres a small seperate mount for the turbo on the tranny mount. with an engine hoist its about a a 4 hour job. Where are you located?

-Jeff

Hey all,

I crashed my car the other week, Slid out on some dirt and hit on the Drivers side into a 4 foot high wall of dirt. I was going so fast that the subframe of the damn car cracked. I don't know whether it would be easier to fix it up, Sell it/part it out. Anyone got any ideas?

AVH

:dammit: That's no good..

Thats for the advice guys, Im in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. Snowbird heaven.

I would haveto pull a subframe from another TGP cause of the turbo right? or could i just get a regular 90's pontiac subframe.

Its weird though, I hit on the drivers side, the crack was at the top right side

avh

Someone correct me if im wrong, but any 88-96 subframe will work. I would try and find 1 from an 88-90 w-body because 91+ has a 3.4 mount, which chances are you will never need.

Subframes from a TGP and all other w-bodys are identical, theres just a slight difference in the tranny mount that goes over the tranny.

-Jeff

Subframes from any W-body 88-96 (and thru 99 for Monte Carlo and all Lumina) will work. They are all the same. 90+ does have the 3.4/3.8 mount, but it's just a small difference and it won't get in the way. You could even cut them off if you wanted, but there's entirely no reason to.

Tranny mounts were different on cars that had the 4T60-E, but that's a removable part of the subframe so you don't need to be concerned about it.

Definitely fix the car. A bent subframe is no reason for a TGP to die! I would take this moment to upgrade to the bigger 34mm sway bar and 96+ front knuckles for the bigger front brakes.