Convertible or T-tops?

Pselus

so I have this new friend...and boy do I love this guy now.

he has done body work and paint jobs on cars since he was a teenager and tells me last night that he is pretty sure he could repaint my entire car a different color AND custom build my car into a hard top with t-tops for about $1500 and some time...he said it won't happen overnight but he thinks we can do it (definatly do the paint job)

so...I'm here for opinions...I'm pretty sure the color I'll do is a dark Charcoal with metal flecks in it (and DEFINATLY keeping my white leather interior to go with that) but I haven't decided on the T-Tops.

my car is a convertible and a nice one at that but the top is in horrid shape...it's old, dirty, dingy...stretched so that the wires running down the sides of it to maintain shape have ripped out of the cloth...

I DO enjoy the convertible...but a T-Top in this car would be SOOO unique I don't know if I could pass on it.

opinions? get the top rebuilt and keep the converty or built a custom t-top?

if he could fab up a removable hardtop that would be freaking awesome - same with the t-top or both! If you got the $$ i say go for it cause its always nice to have something unique (although i do love the cutty ragtops)

where exactly do I look for "a new one"

I thought about trying to have some shop rebuild it...but I can't find anyplace that does it.

as for "new tops"...ever convertible of this car I've seen has a worse top than mine...and any with good tops will probably be good cars so I can't just buy the top off of a good car.

well either way the paint job will be like $300 so I'll get that done first and think about the T-tops while I raise the money.

nice find...

except it's black.

mine's white.

if I were to ruin the "triple whiteness" of this car I'd do it with T-Tops and a paint job

:P

will definatly look on ebay though for a white one.

Screw the T-Tops, you can get a new top put on prefessionally from about $500. If you want to get a nicer quality cloth top plan on spending around $800. Check out places that do canvas work, often they'll be able to do tops for you, if not check with a dealership and ask them where they send they're verts for work on the tops.

If you want T-Tops I say find a hard top and cut them out. You can't ruin a convertible. Keep the car triple white. The car will be worth the most and look the best keeping it the same color with a brand new top on it. A new top will change the look of it. My top is ratty looking too. I hate it with the top up. But once the winter is over I plan on a new top and the car will again look AWSOME :D

T-tops don't hold a candle to convertibles....I have owned two t-top cars and 4 'verts....I will NEVER be without a 'vert in the garage

I've always thought convertables were ugly and impractical. I'd much rather have T-tops or a moon roof even a hard top.

I'm not saying you should turn your vert it to a t-topped Cutty though, that seems like a pretty bad idea.

plus I cant imagine driving one in the winter..

....the nicer convertibles don't lose very much heat at all, the older POS convertibles might lose a lot, but when I drive my Spyder it is very warm in the winter, as were my '01 Mustang, and my '01 Z3 when I had them.....now my wife's old '94 Capri turbo was a different story......the worst part about convertibles are the blind spots....

yeah I won't be going T-Tops...

and last night I was thinking about it and I don't wanna ruin the triple whiteness either...

:lol:

as for winter...this car stays perfectly warm in the winter and I LOOOVE Climate Control systems...I'll never be able to have a car where I can't just tell the car I want it to be 67 degrees...

now if only I could get 18" rims for cheap

:D