A question for the 3.1 guys out there......

SmoothSteve3

rpm wise you mean?

if so...i'd say about 5800 to 6000 normally...but sometimes in 2nd it likes to hit about 6200

roars like a biatch...that reminds me i need to record my engine

amazing though 155,000 miles...all original... and it's showing no signs of fatigue

There is no point in revving a 3.1 much beyond 5,000 as HP peaks somewhere around 4,500. If I let the tranny shift how it wants (shift lever in D), my car shifts out of 1st at about 5,700 RPM at WOT (43 MPH).

wow......

Those numbers make me jealous.......i can barely get my 90' lumina much past 25 mph or maybe 30 before i shift into 2nd. Perhaps its my weight......

I really need to get a tach also....

Yeah, like I said, no point in going much past 5,000. I wish it would shift sooner, but it goes right up to 5,700 at WOT. Stupid automatics. :x

Great point....if i allow it to shift early by letting of the gas a little around 5 grand it'll accelrate just as fast as if i keep it floored

Do you guys all have the 4T60 transmissions? Thats what mine is......and i swear that i cant get past 25 or 30 in first!

That's what i have...30 in first and either 60 or 70 in second....i don't recall 3rd :D

30 MPH works out to approximately 4,000 RPM in first gear. Which means your tranny is short-shifting significantly. I have no idea why so I'll leave that up to the trannsmission experts to explain. :)

30 MPH works out to approximately 4,000 RPM in first gear. Which means your tranny is short-shifting signifacantly. I have no idea why so I'll leave that up to the trannsmission experts to explain. :)

ok well maybe i was wrong about my speed... :lol:

i coulda swore i checked what speed it shifted at in evey gear....i just don't remember the results :wink:

On a N/A 3.1 there is no point of shifting much past 5000. I know my friend has a '91 GP SE and it definately feels faster if you go WOT until about 5200 and then let off and go WOT again, than if you just go WOT and let it shift on its own.

However, on a Turbo 3.1, it keeps making decent power above 5000rpms. The redline is 5500rpms, and I have run mine to the 6212 limiter a few times and it feels like it just keeps pulling harder. I can't imagine what it would be like with a larger turbo.

Shawn

You also have to keep in mind where the RPM's will be after the tranny upshifts. If you let it upshift at only 5,000, the revs will drop down to around 2,700 when 2nd gear engages. That is a little below the engines sweet spot. The advantage to revving it a little above 5,000 is that after the upshift, the motor will be in a stronger part of its rev band. For example, after letting it rev to 5,500, when 2nd engages the revs will be around 3,100. This will probably create better overall performance.

i have another question, sorta realted, but not really. for anyone with the 4t60 and 3.1, when doing a top speed run, do you ever get into 4th??? i peg the speed limiter at 112mph in 3rd and it pisses me off that i have a whole nother gear to go.

- Justin

i have another question, sorta realted, but not really. for anyone with the 4t60 and 3.1, when doing a top speed run, do you ever get into 4th??? i peg the speed limiter at 112mph in 3rd and it pisses me off that i have a whole nother gear to go.

- Justin

I do...but then again i'm missing a speed govrenor...it kicks to 4th at at 115 or 120...not sure which for me

I have a rebuilt ECM by the way...speed governor go bye bye

If I floor it my auto won't upshift until near redline, and it runs out of breath way before then. I usually let off to about 3/4s throttle around 4000 and it'll finally shift, by that time though it's only in 2nd for a second or two before it kicks up to 3rd. If I'm driving normally it's usually in 3rd by the time I hit 35..

I got a 95 cutlass ragtop with the 3100 SFI, it likes to shift at about 35-40 mph when you got the throttle to the floor, it always shifts at about 5500-5600 RPM no matter what unless its in one of the low gears.

You also have to keep in mind where the RPM's will be after the tranny upshifts. If you let it upshift at only 5,000, the revs will drop down to around 2,700 when 2nd gear engages. That is a little below the engines sweet spot. The advantage to revving it a little above 5,000 is that after the upshift, the motor will be in a stronger part of its rev band. For example, after letting it rev to 5,500, when 2nd engages the revs will be around 3,100. This will probably create better overall performance.

Its more like 3K. Anyway, it doesnt matter 2nd gear is worthless on an auto so why even try it, lol

Guest TurboSedan

wow i can only get up to 25mph or so in 1st with my 5-speed. i never let the motor get above 5500 RPM, even 5000 RPM sounds scary enough. i usually shift at about 4700 RPM when racing. it doesn't feel powerful at all after 4500 RPM; 214,000+ miles on my 3.1 MPFI so the valvetrain is probably getting a little tired.

joshua

Its more like 3K. Anyway, it doesnt matter 2nd gear is worthless on an auto so why even try it, lol

I'm not sure what you mean by "try it". All I was saying is that it may be better to let the motor rev a little further in 1st so its in more of it's power band when it shifts to 2nd. You're right though, 1.56:1 isn't a great ratio for acceleration.:lol: Screw fuel economy, I want acceleration!

My 91 shifts into 2nd at 42 and 3rd at 78.

My Regal was able to get into 4th gear and i gotr it up to 130 a few times, but there isn't much point to 4th gear because it is an overdrive and reduces torque. You need more torque to go much faster in 4th than the 3.1 can put out at that range.