suggestions on cheap 4 channel amp

THe_DeTAiL3R

Okay this is my setup..

I got some JBL 4x6 for my dash and Infinity 6.5 for the doors which I'll be running off the CD player

I got some 6x9 MTX 6932 for the rear (they were super cheap.. I was gonna go with Infinitys but decided the price was right at $40CND :wink: )

itm_4111.jpg

Anyways, I want to power the MTX 6x9s and subwoofer(s) with a 4/3 channel amp, I don't need a ton of power cause I heard dual 10's at Futureshop running off a tiny MTX amp and they were pounding. This was only a 1 or 2 channel amp though. At the most I'll be running dual 10s or at the least a single 10, or maybe just 1 12".

I'm kinda thinking about the MTX RoadThunder404 as it is a good price but I'm not sure if its got enough power.

Any suggestions?? I want it to drive the subs adequately, and power the 6x9s with good clear sound, and I don't want to spend much money.

Thanks

Right now I'm powering my full-ranges off an MTX Thunder 4044, they sound really good, it puts out 45x4 @ 4ohms or 60x4@2. Sounds pretty good, and the price was right ~$100 off ebay. The subs are driven by a lightning audio 1 channel amp. It's puts out 225x1 @ 2 ohms. I actually have it turned WAY down, otherwise the bass overpowers the rest of the music.

They say your subs should be putting out around the same as the sum of the rest of your system (ie 45x4= 180 so aim for that to your subs) Of course, it depends on what you're going for.

That said, I like my MTX Thunder, I would recommend though that you're going to run it in 3ch mode, you run the fronts off the amp, power the rears by the deck and bridge the amps off the rear channel. Your subs will provide more than enough rear fill, if you amp the rears too it will probibly overpower the fronts. But, again, you're the one that has to listen to it; if it sounds good, go with it.

Maybe look into jbl.......they make some decent amps for the money......If your serious about a system I would suggest buy a set of components and making kick panels or putting them in the door.....a decent set of components can be had for less then 200 bucks........and you can give 100 watts to each side........im actually working on my system right now.........Got polk db6500 6.5 components running off a mtx 4202 (this amp is a lil small but will work for the time being) and as far as subs im not sure if youve heard of them but Im running 2 Elemental Design e12a's .......still have no sub amp to use permanent so i have to use whatever i have laying around here.........eventually when it comes out im getting an Elemental Designs e2000.......this will give 1000 watts to each of my 12s..........lot of work but it will pay off in the end..........

Also talk to a guy on aim "zedaudio" he has some good amps for the money and im sure he will have just what ya need........cool guy too.........let me know when your looking to get a sub/subs.......and what are you wanting it to sound like? are you going for sq or spl?

i would amp your front speakers instead of the rears. put two speakers on each side in parallel and they'll be at 2 ohms, most decent amps can handle that. your front speakers should be better than your rear speakers, it makes sense if you think about it-you don't go to a concert and stand with your back to the stage. also, if the 6x9s are too loud then the rear passengers can't hear anything else-like conversation.

Dave, Do the amp install yourself! As far as I know they don't do it for free, and you'll save yourself like 80 bucks! If you go slow and solder your connections, exact at the amp, you'll be fine. There are lots of tutorials to show you how to wire up subs! IT'S EASY AS PIE! Especially in the w-bodies. Don't pay someone to do it! Especially if you are going for cheap. Spend the money you saved on installation on equipment! And like the last guy said, and i've told you before, amp the 6.5's, it'll make a big difference. you'll more than likely notice the 6x9's will be drowned out by the subs and if you are to fade to the fron't you'll realize that it doesn't make much difference if any at all.

That's my $.02

hmm...i'd say get a Kicker amp...those things are indestructible

just go on ebay and find either a KX series if you want new...or an older one which are just as good but cheaper

just take the Kicker rating...and multiply it by 1.5 and you have the actuall output

for example a KX120...rated 120watts rms...puts out 180 actual rms watts

if ya feel like driving down here i'll hook it up for free as long as you supply the wiring etc. :lol:

having a Kicker amp powered system that set a state record...i'd never buy another brand amp...nor any other subs then JL Audio....162db in a Honda Accord...bwahahahaha!

Maybe look into jbl.......they make some decent amps for the money......If your serious about a system I would suggest buy a set of components and making kick panels or putting them in the door.....a decent set of components can be had for less then 200 bucks........and you can give 100 watts to each side........im actually working on my system right now.........Got polk db6500 6.5 components running off a mtx 4202 (this amp is a lil small but will work for the time being) and as far as subs im not sure if youve heard of them but Im running 2 Elemental Design e12a's .......still have no sub amp to use permanent so i have to use whatever i have laying around here.........eventually when it comes out im getting an Elemental Designs e2000.......this will give 1000 watts to each of my 12s..........lot of work but it will pay off in the end..........

you are kidding me right?

first time i have been at a non car audio board and someone else knew about eD subs.

i ran a 15A.22 last season in SPl competiton. did rather well. right now it still resides in my trunk. love that sub to death.

WoOT

Monty

as for the original Q....

what made you decide the speaks you are getting were good for the $$?

was it the price or did you sample them then shop ebay for them?

seen many a system powered by a 50x4 amp and sound rather nice doing so.

as for rear speaks i am not a fan at all. i would rather have great front speaks and amp them and a sub out back and call it a day.

been looking at bargain stuff for anewb i met at another forum. not having too much luck yet. as his budget is 250 USD for amp and sub or subs. i know it can be done, but have to look a bit.

as was mentioned Elemental Designs is killer stuff for cheap. the Kx line of subs comes in 10 and 12 with multiple coil configs. http://www.edesignaudio.com

but back to amps.

been looking at MTX, bazooka, sony( but not real fond of sony), coustic, lanzar, PPI, amongst others for a bargain amp. i have only been lookin at mono amps though.

us acoustics is one that keeps coming up at other car audio forums.

as does hifonics, JBL ( the powervalve series), jl audio's smaller amps as well as their new e line,

of course this is your setup so do as you wish.

Monty

if that guy is close i can sell him my solo baric for 225 shipped, i know that only leaves him 25 bucks for an amp, but man, its 1 hell of a sub, and he could save p another 50 or 75 bucks from his next paycheck and buy a bazooka 600 watt amp on ebay and it will be one hell of a system

edit i mean if hes close and can pick it up its 200, otherwise 225 shipped

Hey monty thats cool yea I like the 15a's but I wanted to get away from 15s.........I love these 12s they are so accurate and can get quite loud as well.........as far as sq goes I think that you can get plenty of sound quality out of 1 10 or even 1 12.........infact I know a couple guys using even 1 15 for sq..........it really depends on the driver.......As far as that other guy is wanting to sell a solobaric for 225......not tryin to be downing anyone but I would stay away from that...........one being its kinda high for that and 2 its deff not a sq sub at all.........and as far as best buy goes.........your gonna pay too much at best buy.........eD sells a 10 for 75 bucks that really sounds like what you are looking for.....doesnt need more then say 300 watts.......i would look into that.......but yea some of the other amps people have suggested are nice.........just stay away from the legacy's pyramids, pyle..........if your on ebay and it just seems like a deal too good to be true thats cuz it is.........the amps will be crap.........if you want quality......honestly i would get on to some car audio forums and ask this same question............will get plenty of answers and you can check classifieds forum for amps............if it helps any............i just put 6.5s in my doors..........and i mounted tweets in the car as well..........email me sometime i can send you the pics

sweet

before my 15A i had an eclipse alum 88120dvc. loved that thing but did not think it would cut it in the SPL lanes so i had to find something else.

but back to the topic.

yes the elemental designs Kx line is nice and they have a 10 and 12 as well as multiple coil configs to work with just about any amp.

i still like the idea of a 4 channel amp and dumpin the rear speaks. but that is me.

depending on what i end up doing for a car and for the comp season i may end up with my PPI A404 running my diamonds up front and the 15A out back. 50 to each kick and 200 to the 15A. souns like a winner to me.

Monty