Code P1406 - EGR valve pintel position circuit

cpa5oh

When cruising at low rpm's my 95 Buick Regal tends to sputter. More recently the service engine soon light has come on intermittently and the car has stalled about four times in the past 2 weeks (always when coming to a stop.)

I purchased an AutoXRay scanner and it produced the trouble code in the title of this thread. I've priced EGR valves for my car and I'm not real thrilled about putting one into this high mileage beater (price was $155 locally, $128 on the internet.)

I believe I read on a Mustang website before that EGR valves can become stuck or clogged and can be cleaned out with carb or throttle body cleaner for those cars. If it is possible to service this EGR valve on this Buick (3800 engine) some way that would be my approach...but this thing has electrical connections coming to it and I'm not so sure that there is anything I can do other than replacement.

Can anyone assess my situation and post what you would do to go about fixing this trouble code?

Thanks

If I were you. The first thing I would do is remove the EGR and clean the carbon off it. Clean the carbon off the holes where the EGR goes in to the Intake and pipe/holes from the exhaust side. Use screwdriver, etc. to remove the carbon off because it's hardened carbon.

You might as well remove the IAC and clean the hole where you remove the IAC from.

Use a Top End Cleaner. I'd recommend using a Seafoam motor tune-up available mostly at Napa. Use a $6 Seafoam Motor Tune-Up. 1/3 in fuel tank, 1/3 in oil crankcase, 1/3 in intake vacuum (use the brake booster vacuum hose with a funnel while the engine running). Let it set for 30 minutes, the longer the better. I'd recommend driving it at night at less traffic highway and push the throttle at WOT for a few seconds. There would be a lot of smoke and the other driver thinks they have a fog situation. :) Get an oil change after that.

Hey Slade, I've wondered this before, but never asked it: Why does your car have an emergency tag on it?

I'm a licensed Amateur Radio Operator with a Technician Class License and member of ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League). The license plate on my car is my amateur radio callsign. However, you can get a customized callsign by requesting FCC and paying less than $10 and it's valid for 10 years and you can just renew it around $5 or so.

In Memphis, TN, the requirements to get an amateur radio license plate, you must be a licensed amateur radio and a member of a respected radio club. Other states might just require the amateur radio license. The good thing is that when you apply for your car license plate using your amateur radio callsign, you don't have to pay for customized fee and it is just treated as a regular plate.

To become a licensed amateur call operator, you can take a written test. There are lots of free study guides out there in the web. It is not difficult though. There are 10 years old or even younger who are licensed amateur radio operator.