Is there a target on my car or what?

IL_pilot

Argh! 6 months ago I got run off the road in my old car (non-W) by a Winnebago (who didn't stop). In 6 years, I had never bent metal, ever. I learned my lesson on that one though- don't bother trying to avoid an accident that's someone else's fault. If you lose it and hit a tree, that one is YOUR fault.

Anyway, on my way to work this morning, while slowing in the far left lane at a toll plaza, a dipshit in a Blazer decides he likes my lane better, and turns right into me. I was pinched; nowhere to go, guardrail to my left, him to my right, and no room to stop.

I guess I'm lucky- he managed to clip me right where there would be minimal damage. Missed my bumper, and my front tire/suspension, and just crumpled up my right front fender. And of course, he doesn't have a policy number on his insurence, which is through a substandard company, and there was no damage to his truck. Asshole.

The state trooper gave him a ticket, and I guess we'll see tomarrow when I call his insurence company, but I'm not holding my breath. I guesstimate it to be $500-$700 in damage. Really pisses me off too.

Oh well, at least the car is drivable, but now it really looks like a ghetto Regal, what with my snow tires on steel wheels, and now the torn up fender... sigh.

Just had to rant...

don't bother trying to avoid an accident that's someone else's fault. If you lose it and hit a tree, that one is YOUR fault.

I honestly wish I had read this a few days ago.. a car pulled out in front of me (blind side road) and I swerved hardcore.. ended up smoking the curb on the opposite side of the road and almost got smacked by a truck in the other lane. Something is messed up in the front end of my car now, from the curb I assume, and it comes out of my pocket. I WISH I could go back and smoke the car that pulled out. It would have been a perfect square hit dead center of my car.. Pretty sure the bags would have blown and I'd be on my way to a different vehicle.. now I've got one thats all busted up and it comes out of MY pocket. :evil:

Well, it turns out the guy does have insurance. I've got a claim number, and they're sending paperwork over for me to fill out. I'm not looking forward to this though. My mother just got done dealing with a substandard insurence company (their client ran a stop sign and t-boned her, doing about $4000 worth of damage to her car) they refused to pay more than 60% of the damage, and would only pay $15/hr for labor. AND made her cover all the costs herself, then hemmed an hawed for another month before cutting her a check.

Pics are up here:

http://www.pbase.com/momalley81/car_damage

I think I did luck out though, it looks like he missed EVERY expensive part to fix up there; headlight, bumper and suspension all look ok (I'm still going to have the alignment checked though, his tire scuffed mine, can never be too safe, especially if I can get the guy's insurence to pay for at least part of it!)

edit-

of course, with the location, now I get mud and shit that would have been contained inside the fender spraying all over the place. Damn!

--

Mike

hehe, I remember when you posted that one. What did you end up doing about it? It's going to be at least a couple of weeks to get this one fixed (I could put a new fender on in an afternoon, but the insurance process will take a bit longer :-(.

At least maybe while it's in the body shop I can get them to take a look at a few other places that need touching up.