How difficult is it to install HUD?

dbtk2

If I were to buy a HUD unit for my STE, how difficult would it be to install it. Are there going to be wires up there for it since it was an option, or am I going to have to wire it myself, and if I am going to have to wire it myself, how difficult is it to do so. I don't have one lined up or anything, I was just considering putting one in, and before I buy one (assuming I can even find one) I am wondering how much work its gonna take.

Thanks,

Shawn

Guest TurboSedan

i would guess your car is prewired for it. if it is you are lucky. my Cutlass wasn't, but i wired it in anyway and it was pretty easy with the directions on the w-body page. i haven't done a write-up on it (yet). you can see all of my wiring here:

http://www.turbosedan.com/addhud/addhud.html

it is on a Cutlass, but it should give you a pretty good idea of what needs to be done if you do need to do your own wiring.

i used a Bernzomatic pen torch, paste flux, solder, and heat shrink tubing for a nice clean installation. i still need to cut my original (nice) dashpad; right now i'm using the warped old dashpad that came with my HUD.

joshua

You're car is not prewired. (At least mine wasn't). It's not a hard install, it took me 4 hours the first time. You need wiring diagrams (I have them)and a soldering iron. IF you decide to put one in, I can help, as well as gearhead. I think it's very worthwhile.

Guest TurboSedan
You need wiring diagrams (I have them)and a soldering iron.

i thought about using a soldering gun, i even have a nice Weller. the Bernzomatic pen torch just made things SO much easier IMO. for circuit boards i like the soldering gun, but for soldering wire (splicing), the pen torch is really nice. they only cost like $8 at the hardware store.

joshua

You're car is not prewired. (At least mine wasn't). It's not a hard install, it took me 4 hours the first time. You need wiring diagrams (I have them)and a soldering iron. IF you decide to put one in, I can help, as well as gearhead. I think it's very worthwhile.

If I decide to put one in I will definately let you know (as well as visiting the link above). Since your car is the same as mine it should be pretty simple helping me along if I have problems, and the wiring diagrams will be awesome. If I find one I will let you know. Now that I know the install isn't too tough, I will definately be looking out for one!

Shawn