Turn signals...wierd problem

cpa5oh

I have a 95 Buick Regal. Originally someone trailing me told me that I had a brake light out...I replaced the bulb but that did not help. Then I noticed that, by pulling back the "stalk" on the steering column as I hit the brakes, the brake lights would come on. So I read past threads here and figured the problem must be the turn signal switch. I bought one but did not put it in right away. Next thing I know the right turn signal stops working. When I hit the right signal, on the dash the little green arrow lights up, but it doesn't blink. I also noticed that the right side yellow turn signal light stays lit all the time...whether I have the signal on or not.

I figured replacing the turn signal switch would solve my problem, but I installed the one had bought this past weekend, which fixed my break light problem, but not the right turn signal.

The left turn signal works fine, the hazard lights work fine (I think...at least they blink on the dash,) but the right turn signal doesn't work. Anybody have an idea as to what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Dan

Check the bulbs. If they're all fine, then you need to change the flasher. It is up under the dash on the drivers side, right next to the steering column. Its like a 3 dollar part.

Sounds like bulb out to me. Left turn wouldn't work right if it was the flasher.

Ah! Not true. I had the same problem. Left turn would not blink (steady on) but right turn would flash fine. I replaced the flasher and it immediately fixed the problem. Same thing with the neighbor's Cutlass Supreme. Right turn was steady on, left flashed. Replaced flasher and all was fine again.

Ah! Not true. I had the same problem. Left turn would not blink (steady on) but right turn would flash fine. I replaced the flasher and it immediately fixed the problem. Same thing with the neighbor's Cutlass Supreme. Right turn was steady on, left flashed. Replaced flasher and all was fine again.

You are right, that could happen, but that also indicates another problem somewhere else. It could be as simple as mismatched bulbs, but somewhere there is a definite load mismatch between left and right. Extra resistance in a connector or turn signal switch or something like that, but mismatched bulb is probably most likely.

If everything is in tip-top shape, the electrical load between left and right should match, so the flasher should behave exactly the same with turn signal in either direction.

Well... I thought that too... but I don't know.. All bulbs are the correct ones. The signal cam is going out in mine, that may have caused a problem. But with the other Cutlass, the cam had already been replaced a few months ago.

thanks for the replies!

I THINK I've got all new, working bulbs in the car. There were two new ones placed in the rear, and the front corner light lights up...it just doesn't flash.

I guess the plan will be to buy all new bulbs (maybe one is bad) then get a flasher if the problem is not fixed by bulbs.

Thanks for the help...I'll update after this weekend.

Dan

Well...I replaced the flasher today since it was only a $3 part. That did not fix the problem.

So I decided to revisit the bulbs and found that one of the two bulbs in the right rear was burned out...replaced it and I'm all set.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Well...I replaced the flasher today since it was only a $3 part. That did not fix the problem.

So I decided to revisit the bulbs and found that one of the two bulbs in the right rear was burned out...replaced it and I'm all set.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

I am the master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!