stripped seat bolt hole (can i re-tap it?)

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

the front drivers seat in my Cutlass has a stripped bolt hole. it's the front left bolt hole that's stripped (nearest the hood release lever). it's a very irritating problem because the seat leans way back on the left side and it's uncomfortable (and probably not very safe).

anyway, can i re-tap this hole? is there enough material there to do this? i'm going to give it a try tomarrow; i'll probably just try to tap it out to the next bigger size bolt.....if that is possible. has anyone else here done this?

any input very much welcome, thanks.

joshua

If your going to put in a different size bolt, you can re-tap it. If you want to use the same size bolt, you will have to add some material in there before you re-tap it. I bet you could either use some JB weld, let it harden, then re-tap it. Or, you could take it to a machine shop, take the seat out, and ask them to hit it with a welder, just to add some material there, then re-tap it.

Personally, because your talking about a bolt hole.... I would go with the JB weld. There is probably not that much material missing, and you could do in in under an hour....

Good luck man..... :wink:

Guest TurboSedan

i just got done tapping it out and it seemed to work out just fine. i tapped it out to a M10x1.25 bolt and used a bolt that was about 1" long that i bought at the hardware store. i used a crush washer also.

joshua